Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cigarette lighter does not work. It is located where the ignition switch used to be in earlier model years. Would be nice to have juice. Would appreciate advice on the recommended procedure to get the old socket out of the '70 dash.

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cigarette lighter does not work. It is located where the ignition switch used to be in earlier model years. Would be nice to have juice. Would appreciate advice on the recommended procedure to get the old socket out of the '70 dash.
Quit smoking! Only kidding. Check for power at the lead wire that attaches to the stud at the rear of the receptacle. If you have power, then either the ground is bad or the lighter element is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quit smoking! Only kidding. Check for power at the lead wire that attaches to the stud at the rear of the receptacle. If you have power, then either the ground is bad or the lighter element is bad.
Thanks. I first found a loose power lead that did have juice so that was promising. I was then able to get my hand behind the lighter in the dash by removing a trim piece by the radio. I removed the lighter socket, cleaned it, reinstalled it and attached the lead. This turned out to be a simple fix. Not sure why the lead was disconnected in the first place!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts