Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
This is my first time posting. I recently got a '70 XR7. I have been slowly trying fix restore the car back. I removed the rear bumper because it some rust on it and I thought I might be able to clean it up. I have been using a couple of methods (000 steel wool and water, aluminum foil and water, chrome polish, etc. It definitely has removed some of the rust. I still have two spots on each end of the bumper. I attached pictures

I am looking for a little advice on whether I should continue and see if I can get to a shiny surface or is there some other way to clean up the bumper. I am just starting with the car so I have got a bunch of other projects to do on the car so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Gas Wood
Hood Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking at those pics I'd say it's time to send those to Don at WCCC and get back a re-chromed set. It's not cheap to have them re-chromed yourself unless you have a connection locally. But think of it this way - one of the first things people notice on these old beauties is the chrome and the bumpers are the largest chromed items on the car. It's money well spent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depending on your budget and plans for the car...I have had good success with Nevr Dull now owned by Eagle one. It is a cotton wadding with polishing n cleaning agents in it. Been around forever. Takes out pitting in metal and surface rust.You can find at any Auto parts store. If that doesn't work for you, you may want to consider media blasting the bumper and then having them powder coated...Modern spray chromes n powder coats are very effective in replicating real chrome these days. If still not satisfactory, having them stripped and then chrome plated is best and most expensive way to go.Expect to pay at least $1000 to have both rechromed...I would also suggest looking around for some clean used bumpers at Swap Meets...online, Ebay, Cougar pages etc...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’d say make another try with naval jelly and “000” or “0000” steel wool or Nevr Dull as someone else recommended.
But- those two spots will only get marginally better. Those would need replating. But honestly I’d get the jumper a bit better than it is now and move on to other things on your list. Once this bumper is the thing that is at the top of your list for upgrade then get it rechromed. And there are still local shops you may find if you are not commuting distance to WCC. I’ve found a great shopnear Salt LakeCity for bumpers and a shop for smaller items in Yuma, CO which are both closer to me than WCCC.

·
Contributing Member
1,909 Posts
Hello All,
This is my first time posting. I recently got a '70 XR7. I have been slowly trying fix restore the car back. I removed the rear bumper because it some rust on it and I thought I might be able to clean it up. I have been using a couple of methods (000 steel wool and water, aluminum foil and water, chrome polish, etc. It definitely has removed some of the rust. I still have two spots on each end of the bumper. I attached pictures

I am looking for a little advice on whether I should continue and see if I can get to a shiny surface or is there some other way to clean up the bumper. I am just starting with the car so I have got a bunch of other projects to do on the car so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

View attachment 117939 View attachment 117940

This is also an option and it works.

Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Publication Auto part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts