Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....

Just hoping someone can help me out. I was looking at this setup for my 70 coupe (stock suspension). See any issues?

Fronts - 18x8 Gray Wheel Boss 338 5x4.5
  • Offset 2
  • Backspace 4.52
  • Hub 72.64
338_gray_white.jpg

Rears - 18x9.5 Gray Wheel Boss 338 5x4.5
  • Offset -4
  • Backspace 5.03
  • Hub 72.64 338_gray_95_white.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another user has them on his 68. One thread states that he has 17", and the other suggests he has 18". Either way, I'm no sure of how the wheel space available changes from 68 to 70. Anyone know?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm running 17x8s with 235/45/17s on the front and 18x9.5s with 275/40/18s on the rear of my 67. My front suspension is modified, but they fit fine with the stock setup and with 70 disk brake spindles. My rear end is a shortened 8.8 allowing a wider wheel. The 69 and 70 cats had bigger wheel wells just like the 69-70 stangs. That being said, my buddy is running the exact same wheel and tire sizes I have on his lowered 69 Mach 1 with no issues.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
0 offset! 4.5 on a 17x8 is where you need you need to be +/- on a 18"

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running 17x8s with 235/45/17s on the front and 18x9.5s with 275/40/18s on the rear of my 67. My front suspension is modified, but they fit fine with the stock setup and with 70 disk brake spindles. My rear end is a shortened 8.8 allowing a wider wheel. The 69 and 70 cats had bigger wheel wells just like the 69-70 stangs. That being said, my buddy is running the exact same wheel and tire sizes I have on his lowered 69 Mach 1 with no issues.
I would love to see a picture of your setup!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See screamin_67s build thread for photos. It's still a work in progress.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
ok the whoa before the go thread. very nice thank you. Still can't make up my mind as to which size. maybe i should just go 17 x 8's all the way around

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright. I think I'm going to go for the 18 X 9.5 in the rear 18 x 8's in the front. I'm sure the fronts will work fine with the 4.5 BS, How does the backspacing for the 9.5" look to you guys? They only offer a 5.03 BS with a -4 OS in this model.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
negitive offset is a bad thing, pick another wheel, if needed, you must use a 0 offset, or you wont be happy with the results

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sometimes you can order custom sizes.......they make you wait until they have a run going through manufacturing before you could get them though. No telling how long that might take. I'd give them a call or shoot them a message and ask

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
negitive offset is a bad thing, pick another wheel, if needed, you must use a 0 offset, or you wont be happy with the results
Admitting that I do not know much about custom wheels could you please explain this? Exactly what is neg offset? And why is it bad? Thanks.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Sometimes you can order custom sizes.......they make you wait until they have a run going through manufacturing before you could get them though. No telling how long that might take. I'd give them a call or shoot them a message and ask
X2... check on the special order. I waited 10 weeks for my rear wheels and 12 weeks for the fronts. But I felt it was worth it. NOTHING fits like custom ordered wheels and everything clears everywhere.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
offset is the measurement where the center of the wheel (ie spoke/mount area) sits in the wheel . fords traditionally run 0 offset. for instance late model mustangs run a +30 offset on their wheels. this measurement is NOT backspace , which is the measurement from the back of the mounting area to the outside lip of the back of the wheel

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
offset is the measurement where the center of the wheel (ie spoke/mount area) sits in the wheel . fords traditionally run 0 offset. for instance late model mustangs run a +30 offset on their wheels. this measurement is NOT backspace , which is the measurement from the back of the mounting area to the outside lip of the back of the wheel
I am still confused here. Where it is measured? From the center of the wheel to where? Or does it mean that a 0 offset would mean that the center section of the wheel is mounted dead center in the rim. Then a +30 would have the center section mounted toward the outside of the rim? Or am I still totally off on this? And why is running something other than a 0 offset not good on our Cougars? Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
NO they will not, pick another wheel.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I am still confused here. Where it is measured? From the center of the wheel to where? Or does it mean that a 0 offset would mean that the center section of the wheel is mounted dead center in the rim. Then a +30 would have the center section mounted toward the outside of the rim? Or am I still totally off on this? And why is running something other than a 0 offset not good on our Cougars? Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
randy, 0 offset is dead center of the wheel, you are correct. it severly changes how the car reacts in cornering and ride quailty . this also why it it such a bad idea to run a late model wheel with a huge spacer unless the suspension is moddifed or designed for it. (besides the saftey factor) a wide wheel with a small neg offset with the correct back space on a rear isnt as critical as it is for the front.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. That helps me to better understand. I can see how it would have more effect on the front suspension over the rear. I don't think that I could even legally use spacers here in PA, they will not pass our annual inspection as I recall.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
759 Posts
See screamin_67s build thread for photos. It's still a work in progress.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Now that's the understatement of the decade! LOL,,,,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts