·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is Dave W, car :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
She is stunning. WOW very nice. I really enjoyed going through each of those pictures. GLWS. How is she to drive?

·
Read Only
241 Posts
why is there only a 6 gran tach.i tought all 302 boss cougar eliminators came with 8 gran tachs in them

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was a very early car and has been fully documented being built with a 6K tach and non-stagared rear shocks........it happend from time to time.....even with 428 SCJ cars.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
This was a very early car and has been fully documented being built with a 6K tach and non-stagared rear shocks........it happend from time to time.....even with 428 SCJ cars.
I was wondering about those too, thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My 70 428 SCJ Eliminator has a 6K tach, and many did. On the line, if there was no 8K tach available for the Boss 302, a 6K would do...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I had a 70 XR-7 351 W 2V that had a 8K tach. I'm not able to prove it was original, but the 2 owners before me said it was in it when they got it. That was the Green on Green one I sold in 2005.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold....................79K someone got a very nice car!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote from RK Motors: "Of special note, we’ve received a number of emails from Eliminator “experts” wondering where the staggered shocks are on this car. As all real Eliminator experts know, this is an early build car and based on the build date, the car should NOT have staggered shocks. So, the next time you hear form an expert, with firm authority, that one can spot a “true” Eliminator by the presence of staggered shocks, tell him he needs to do some more homework before he earns his expert badge."

So I guess there must have been lots of early build date 1970 Boss 302 & 428CJ Mustangs/Cougars built at Dearborn with out staggered shocks & Boss 302 8000rpm tach LOL. Also how would your RPM rev limiter work if your tach only went to 6000rpm???? Sounds like a good RK Motors snow job to me. I owned a 70 Boss302 Mustang an unless you disconnect the rev limiter an shifted the car at 6800-7000 rpm you got the doors blown off you by a stock Z28 302 Camaro.LOL

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Hello Chuck, How did it do with the rev limiter disconnected?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
1968 GTX Hemi, Royal Maroon
1968 1/2 428 CJ, Fastback Auto, 430 TL, Dark Metalic Green

1968 1/2 428 CJ Coupe, 4 Speed, 350 TL, Triple Black
1969 Boss 302 Cougar Eliminator 4 Speed, 350, Competition Orange
1969 428 R Code Cougar Conv, Auto, 3.00 TL Blue Aqua
1969 Boss 302 Mustang Acapulco Blue
1970 Boss 302 Cougar Eliminator, Super Drag Pack, 4 Speed, 430 TL, Grabber Blue
1970 428 Cougar Eliminator, SCJ 4 spd, 430 TL, Triple Black
1970 Boss 302 Mustang W code (Drag Pack) 4 Speed, 430 DL, Grabber Green
1970 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 Auto, Sonic Silver
1971 Boss 351 4 spd, 391 TL, Grabber Blue
1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD, Auto, White
2013 Cannondale EVO Super Six
2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29 Ultimate
That's not fair :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello Chuck, How did it do with the rev limiter disconnected?
The rev limiter would cut in at about 6150 almost stalling the car. With the rev limiter disconnected I would pop the clutch at about 6000 rpm to keep the car from bogging down off the line, than I would shift thru the gears at around 7000 rpm. It ran pretty good for a 302 Cleveland. The next summer I installed a hot Boss 351 engine it went from a 14 second car to a 12 second car.

69 White Eliminator 428CJ/RA/4spd/ 1 of 3 known to exist
62 Falcon 347/5spd/ET 10.80/127mph

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I guess there must have been lots of early build date 1970 Boss 302 & 428CJ Mustangs/Cougars built at Dearborn with out staggered shocks & Boss 302 8000rpm tach LOL. Also how would your RPM rev limiter work if your tach only went to 6000rpm???? Sounds like a good RK Motors snow job to me. I owned a 70 Boss302 Mustang an unless you disconnect the rev limiter an shifted the car at 6800-7000 rpm you got the doors blown off you by a stock Z28 302 Camaro.LOL[/QUOTE said:
Well Chuck, it happened, there are several examples out there that have been fully documented and several experts have all agreed thatthis is the case with this car, but you go right ahead and keep talking about things you don’t know about.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I can understand a car having a 6K tach instead of the 8K that it should have. The line worker could have installed the wrong one, they might have been out of the 8K at the time and the line was not going to be held up for that, those things make sense to me.

However I am not so sure that I can understand what difference being an early build date for a 70 makes. The 69 B2 cars had staggered shocks and I would think that would just carry over into the 70 model production. I could understand saying that a particular car was not built as it should have been, that workers on the line messed up and the result was a car that should have a particular type part left the factory without it. With a good known history for a given car I can understand how it could be said that this particular car was built that way. I would like to see the evidence that says that early build cars were built this way and who these experts are that say that is how it is.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well Chuck, it happened, there are several examples out there that have been fully documented and several experts have all agreed thatthis is the case with this car, but you go right ahead and keep talking about things you don’t know about.
So Mr.Team Hot-Air, there must be lots of 1970 Boss 302 Mustangs/Cougars out there with the same problems & with built sheets showing the 6000 rpm tach & standard rear suspension instead of the 428 staggered shock suspension. Who are these Mustang/Cougar experts & how many Cougars & Mustangs were built like this one????? How about some experts names?????? Sounds like you work for RK Motors sales dept (just kidding).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So Mr.Team Hot-Air, there must be lots of 1970 Boss 302 Mustangs/Cougars out there with the same problems & with built sheets showing the 6000 rpm tach & standard rear suspension instead of the 428 staggered shock suspension. Who are these Mustang/Cougar experts & how many Cougars & Mustangs were built like this one????? How about some experts names?????? Sounds like you work for RK Motors sales dept (just kidding).

Well you could start with Don Rush, Frank Bowers and DaveWayrus for starts. I am sure everyone here would agree they are experts in this area, Dave used to own this car and it was an original paint car and even featured in Barn Finds, and Dave has certified this car via a letter from the Eliminator Registry, and it is backed with a build sheet, original window sticker, etc.

I flew Don down to inspect the car before I restored it and he went over every inch of the car and all documentation, and he urged me not to restore it as he felt it was so original that it would be better as an unrestored example, however I thought the paint was too far gone and I restored it.

It is also well known that there are cars out there that were supposed to get staggered rear shocks that didn’t, and that were supposed to get 8 grand tachs that didn’t, etc. I have even owned a 428 SCJ 4 speed mustang that should have had staggered rear shocks that didn’t, and it was anoriginal paint, one owner car. It happened, don’t know why, how, who etc., butit happened.

As for RK, I don’t know where they got the information thatas an early 70 car it should have non-staggered shocks, this could be bad info receivedor a mistake on their part, however I have bought and sold over 15 cars through them and they have always treated me fairly and with respect.

I don’t mind questions or debate, in fact i welcome them, however I found your post meanspirited and critical when you don’t have your facts right, so I called you onit, plain and simple.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you say that the built sheet/Window sticker/Marti Report etc..........says that the car didn't come with 8000rpm tach & staggered shocks than I'm sorry about my comments.

All I know is from owning a Boss 302 Mustang that the engine would only make about 75% of its power at 6000 rpm (that is why Ford gave you a 8000rpm tach). It hard to believe that a car that had drag pak 3.91 gears & long tube headers/bullit muflers that you would shift the car at 6000 rpm. but since Dave W. was the original owner what can I say.

Chuck
White 1969 Cougar Eliminator 428CJ/RA/4spd/1 of 3 CCOA
White 1962 Falcon 347/10.80 @ 127mph.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts