Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a running driving project car that is currently in primer with a 351c and FMX. The original drive train was separated from it many years ago (gas crunch era?) SOLID underside, no bubbles or wrinkles in the aprons, nice original leather and dash pad with no splits, even the driver side seat is nice. Perfect torque boxes, rockers and frame rails. I will be replacing the driver side floor next week as someone put a repro pan in it at one time with an incorrect stamping. The driver side quarter skin and outer wheel house are being replaced this week, once completed you will not be able to tell it was replaced. I will not be spreading pictures around (yet) as the car looks terrible with the interior removed, skin off and all chrome removed. The new owner can have the honor of sharing "before" and after pics. I will however provide free round-trip air fare to qualified, serious buyers who would like to inspect it in person. I will consider trades for a driver quality 67-70 Cougar and yes I will consider payments if the car stays in my possession. For some reason the 70 CJ models bring more than any other Cougar on a regular basis. This car will be worth six figures when completed. Must sell by October 31! Asking $28,500.00, considerable discount if no payments or trades are involved.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Don I am so wishing I didnt have 2 proejct cars, 1 proejct boat and a pending realestate investment.. heh. Got to know my limitations. This looks like an amazing car. Truely a rare kitty. For someone with cash this car would make the next record BJ Cougar sale I am sure.

Just drooling over that marti. Best of luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Now with a 351C & FMX with replaced floor & quarter panel...........??
Checking the 2012 archives at B-J. Lot 953.2 All original car with a 4 spd sold @ $91.000.

<TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; PADDING-TOP: 5px">Summary: </TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; PADDING-TOP: 5px" colSpan=2>428 CJ, 4-speed Hurst, Traction-Lok, one of one with all documentation including Build Sheet and Marti Reports. All body panels are original, as well as all major mechanical components. Two owner car with less than 57,000 actual miles. </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; PADDING-TOP: 5px">Details: </TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; WIDTH: 620px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; PADDING-TOP: 5px" colSpan=2>One-of-a-kind XR7 convertible with less than 57,000 actual miles. Two owners since new and I have owned this car since 1991. This car has all its original body panels and was an unmolested original car that underwent a painstaking 6-year restoration process. The original 428CJ engine was rebuilt with standard bore and standard crankshaft to original specs, but allowing for use of current unleaded gasoline. The original 4-speed transmission was rebuilt, as well as the original Traction-Lok 3.50 rear end. Every component works as it did when it was new, including the low fuel sending unit, clock, radio, etc. This XR7 convertible was one of just 17 produced with a 428CJ and a 4-speed transmission. Factory options make it a one of one according to the Marti Report. Documentation of this car includes all Marti Reports, Eminger original dealer invoice, Build Sheet and copies of titles dating to 1970. Other options include power disc brakes front, power steering, power windows, space saver spare tire which is original with inflation bottle, AM/FM stereo radio, tilt steering wheel, sports console, tinted glass, Traction-Lok 3.50 differential, appearance protection group and automatic seat belt release. The restoration of this car took six years and many NOS parts were used in the process. The paint is show quality, as is the fit and finish of the interior. Door panels, armrests, console and dash are original with the seats and carpet being replaced with the highest quality materials. The black convertible top is new along with the correct back glass window. The original convertible top boot is in the trunk along with the original boot bag and shows the care this car has been accustomed to it's entire life. Steel style sport wheels were added to enhance the appearance of the car along with period correct wide oval tires. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
This is a running driving project car that is currently in primer with a 351c and FMX. The original drive train was separated from it many years ago (gas crunch era?) SOLID underside, no bubbles or wrinkles in the aprons, nice original leather and dash pad with no splits, even the driver side seat is nice. Perfect torque boxes, rockers and frame rails. I will be replacing the driver side floor next week as someone put a repro pan in it at one time with an incorrect stamping. The driver side quarter skin and outer wheel house are being replaced this week, once completed you will not be able to tell it was replaced. I will not be spreading pictures around (yet) as the car looks terrible with the interior removed, skin off and all chrome removed. The new owner can have the honor of sharing "before" and after pics. I will however provide free round-trip air fare to qualified, serious buyers who would like to inspect it in person. I will consider trades for a driver quality 67-70 Cougar and yes I will consider payments if the car stays in my possession. For some reason the 70 CJ models bring more than any other Cougar on a regular basis. This car will be worth six figures when completed. Must sell by October 31! Asking $28,500.00, considerable discount if no payments or trades are involved.

clarifying question, does the car come with tho original cj drivetrain ?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Its a Halloween car that came in "Orange" and black (interior and top)!
Well, comp gold is practically orange anyhow.

Very cool :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I believe the reason 70 CJ's bring more than any other is the simple fact that there aren't as many. I had to piece together an engine compartment for Marylin and it took years. The 70 CJ engine compartment is different, and significantly more rare than the 69. I am surprised the market seems to have noticed this, but I can definitely confirm.

Whoever wants this car, chase down that plain-jane 70 coupe that was in Connecticut last I heard and rob the drivetrain for this convertible. That black-and-white will never be anything more than an Eliminator clone anyway. That car will cost mid-teens, but is way more attractive because of its complete engine compartment. You'll be miles ahead.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Wow...I am semi tempted to take the 428 drive train out of my 70 convertible and stick it in a car it belongs in, but if I did it I would not want to get rid of it and driving around in a 100k car way to nervous to do that and leave it sitting in my garage to just look at it....guess I will stick to my clone car...good luck to the new owner, restoring the car is half the fun....

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I believe the reason 70 CJ's bring more than any other is the simple fact that there aren't as many. I had to piece together an engine compartment for Marylin and it took years. The 70 CJ engine compartment is different, and significantly more rare than the 69. I am surprised the market seems to have noticed this, but I can definitely confirm.
In 1970 only the Cougar and Mustang had the FE based 428CJ engines. The mid sized Torino/Cyclone based cars had moved onto to 429CJ engines.

Supply and demand, for the unique and dated coded 1970 428 Cobra Jet parts, causes a premium price of those parts. 1970 428CJ engines cost more to restore, so the cars are worth more.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That's a lot of options ordered not to have A/C, even back in the day when having A/C in a convertible was regarded as odd. Can anyone price out this build in 1970 dollars? How much did A/C cost as an option? Given the $4,500+ retail price tag, it seems strange to me that A/C wasn't ordered, especially for a Florida car with a black interior.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
In 1970 only the Cougar and Mustang had the FE based 428CJ engines. The mid sized Torino/Cyclone based cars had moved onto to 429CJ engines.

Supply and demand, for the unique and dated coded 1970 428 Cobra Jet parts, causes a premium price of those parts. 1970 428CJ engines cost more to restore, so the cars are worth more.
Yes, but the strange part is that the market seems to have noticed this, where in almost all other respects, the 1970 model plays second fiddle to a 69.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes, but the strange part is that the market seems to have noticed this, where in almost all other respects, the 1970 model plays second fiddle to a 69.
Same With a Mustang a 69 fastback 428 seems to bring more than the 70...I think it may have to do with the style of the body than just the engine...I personally like the 70 cougar more than the 69 but like the 69 Mustang more...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Myself I prefer the Charger style nose of the 69 Cougar vs Thunderbird style nose of the 70 Cougar.

Also a 4 speed car on the average will bring you an extra 15% to 25% to selling price of the car example B-J Lot 953.2 All original car with a 4 spd sold @ $91.000.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
It goes both ways. It seems to me, that 1970 Eliminators are in demand more than 1969 Eliminators.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
That's a lot of options ordered not to have A/C, even back in the day when having A/C in a convertible was regarded as odd. Can anyone price out this build in 1970 dollars? How much did A/C cost as an option? Given the $4,500+ retail price tag, it seems strange to me that A/C wasn't ordered, especially for a Florida car with a black interior.

a/c was $375.70 option
My similar car (has a/c, tilt and 8 track but no seat release or intermittent wipers) was $4468.30 dealer, $5459.65 retail

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
That was the car that pushed me to put a 428 in mine after deciding I could never afford a real one
A hand shake with a promise you would not just flip it without working on it and $50 would get you on a $1000 a month payment plan. I will pay for the plane ticket and you could come for our annual open house to boot! Buy a crate motor for your clone and it will go even faster. Put your correct drivetrain in this one and you potentially could come out smelling like a rose!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

Ok, that seems like an odd coincidence... 2 almost identical cars ordered from the same dealership? One with AC and one without?

Smells like an order got messed up (factory dropped the AC, but kept the 3:00 locking axle, as ordered) and a customer refused to accept his convertible when it came without the AC!

Don's marti says "Retail", so would that be a customer order, as opposed to a Stock order?

I wonder what the Mecum car's marti report looks like...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts