Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...I have an interesting find that followed another interesting find. About 3 months ago...I purchased a 1970 Cougar XR7 near Sacramento, California, that is a very unusual car. It is an M code 351 4 barrel with power steering, power disc brakes, a/c, tilt and rally wheels. What is unusual about it is that it has a factory black and white checkerboard roof (per the Marti reoport). It is a California car since new with original blue and gold plates and is in very good condition. I was considering putting a hood scoop on it and did not want to drill holes in the original hood...so I searched for a hood and found one on Craigslist (also in Northern California). After working a deal with a guy to buy the hood...he asked if I wanted to buy an entire car...also a 1970 Cougar. He said it was for sale privately by a woman handling an estate. I said sure and about a week later got to look at the car. The woman said the car was not in the California DMV system and I asked her what VIN she checked. She said all the correct numbers and letters for a 1970 Cougar XR7 except she said the 5th digit was a 0. Well...as you might have guessed...it was not an 0 but a Q. Yes...I bought the car on the spot and it is also a lifelong California car ordered on 7/15/ 1969...probably one of the earliest ordered (again per the Marti report...boy I am giving Kevin a lot of business). It was sent new to Santa Monica, California. Loaded with options...yes...power steering, power disc brakes, air conditioning, power windows, tilt, am.fm...you get the idea. This car was painted by the last owner orange (it came Deep Gold) and it has Eliminator stripes, a hood scoop and a rear wing. Not sure whether to take it back to Gold or leave it like it is. I am probably going to cut loose one or the other of these cars. Thanks. Brian.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi everyone...I have an interesting find that followed another interesting find. About 3 months ago...I purchased a 1970 Cougar XR7 near Sacramento, California, that is a very unusual car. It is an M code 351 4 barrel with power steering, power disc brakes, a/c, tilt and rally wheels. What is unusual about it is that it has a factory black and white checkerboard roof (per the Marti reoport). It is a California car since new with original blue and gold plates and is in very good condition. I was considering putting a hood scoop on it and did not want to drill holes in the original hood...so I searched for a hood and found one on Craigslist (also in Northern California). After working a deal with a guy to buy the hood...he asked if I wanted to buy an entire car...also a 1970 Cougar. He said it was for sale privately by a woman handling an estate. I said sure and about a week later got to look at the car. The woman said the car was not in the California DMV system and I asked her what VIN she checked. She said all the correct numbers and letters for a 1970 Cougar XR7 except she said the 5th digit was a 0. Well...as you might have guessed...it was not an 0 but a Q. Yes...I bought the car on the spot and it is also a lifelong California car ordered on 7/15/ 1969...probably one of the earliest ordered (again per the Marti report...boy I am giving Kevin a lot of business). It was sent new to Santa Monica, California. Loaded with options...yes...power steering, power disc brakes, air conditioning, power windows, tilt, am.fm...you get the idea. This car was painted by the last owner orange (it came Deep Gold) and it has Eliminator stripes, a hood scoop and a rear wing. Not sure whether to take it back to Gold or leave it like it is. I am probably going to cut loose one or the other of these cars. Thanks. Brian.
Would love to see some pictures of these cats!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would love to see some pictures of these cats!
I will try and post some photos next week. If someone might be interested in the 428 car...I will likely put it up for sale sometime soon. The motor was completely professionally redone and the car was painted. The interior was removed and not put back in yet so it is a small project. The only negative thing is that the guy left the original vinyl top on and then put Eliminator stripes...so it looks kind of strange. According to the Marti report...it is one of 274 428-C 6 Cougars built in 1970...not sure if this includes Eliminators. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts