Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a local custom exhaust shop this fall,about bending me up a custom system.
I want to be able to hear the radio, but I also want that V8 sound. Something throatier than stock, but quieter than turbos. Its alot I know.
So the muffler guy suggested a muffler called the "Installer Line" of muffler.
My question is, has anyone heard of these? I never have.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Remember that 351C-4Vs used larger 2-1/4" diameter pipes compared to the 2" system used on a 302, 351C-2V or 351W. That alone will make for a bigger sound. I used the system that Mustangs Unlimited sells on my wife's '70 Mach 1 351C-4V. Even with stock-type replacement mufflers in the kit, it definitely has that musclecar sound. The heavy-wall pipes in their system also attenuate the sound. BTW, the MU system does not use 'wrinkle-bends' on their pipes!

BTW, the term 'turbo mufflers' is a misnomer - many manufacturers short mufflers have different sounds. Most of that has to do with how they are constructed. The cheaper versions have only 2" core pipes inside the muffler, and neck up the inlet/outlet pipes to whatever pipe size is needed. The better ones use full-diameter cores. Then there is the issue with how many core pipes - two or three cores... Then how do they direct the flow inside (or don't they)... Then are they fiberglass wrapped inside... Since construction varies so much, so does sound and restriction! I've seen a comparison of flow/sound of various muffles someplace online, but I can't find it right now. Do a Google search.

FWIW, when my 393W Crown Vic decided to eat it's catalysts, (one was totally gone, and one cat core turned sideways inside the cat), I fully expected to have all of those pieces of catalysts plugging up my DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers. Nope. Not one piece got trapped inside the mufflers! All of the sand/gravel that were my catalyst cores went right out the tailpipes! I ran a test at the dragstrip - pipes unhooked after the 2-1/2" Fox Mustang H-pipe, and then a back-to-back run with the pipes/mufflers/tailpipes connected - No difference! None! I guess my mufflers/tailpipes aren't holding me back, LOL!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flows on my car and love them. It gives it a throating burble out of the pipes, but does a good job on not allowing resonance in the interior of the car. The 50 Series is even quieter if you want a little less exhaust note and interior noise - sounds like what you're shooting for. Here's a link, complete with audio files.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flows on my car and love them. It gives it a throating burble out of the pipes, but does a good job on not allowing resonance in the interior of the car. The 50 Series is even quieter if you want a little less exhaust note and interior noise - sounds like what you're shooting for. Here's a link, complete with audio files.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1
Thanks I'll give it a look

1 - 5 of 5 Posts