Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have just joined this evening. Pacificatz hooked me up to the site. I must admit I a bit if a "virgin" when it comes done to internet forums, and I have lots of exploring to do. Well anyways, lots of nice cats here. My cat is a 1969 XR7 that was originally ordered from the factory in what I call "Mary Kay Purple". Please check out Pacificatz article about the purple cats. I was incredibly lucky in find this car with specs like; grandmas car since new, 107,000 original miles, and only one repaint. It was purchased from grandama's son who inherited it after her death. The car needed some suspension work and a major tune up, but runs real strong now, and drives lots better too. I am curious about the cars value, and I thought I would take it to the experts. The debate is still on weather to paint it back to the original color, or pick another nice factory color that would be correct for the year. It has a 351 4V and FMX auto with leather and swing away wheel. Check out the pictures and let me know.

Kelowna Cat

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good pics, Nice car! I found it to be stunning and inspiring! - Chad

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
love the color!!!!! You have a real find.. how much did it cost?IYDMMA:rolleyes:

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words

Thanks, I went out for a cruise on Saturday and stopped in at the local hubcap man. There in the back of his yard was a set of the correct 69 XR7 caps. I stole them for a 100 bucks. Thats almost free for those of you from the states. I was really lucky to find this car and paid a very reasonable price for it. I am enjoying driving it around when the weather is nice, and working on it when it is not. For those of you who do not know where Kelowna is, we are in the southern interior of British Columbia, Canada. The weather this year for fall has been remarkable, but it has started to snow this morning. Which brings me to consider some of the larger projects that must be completed before summer. I think for this year my priorities will be; front grill repaint, rechrome back bumper, more mechanical and replace all window weatherstripping. Here are some more pics of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too Purple or not

Tim,

Man, I have a really hard time with the purple. It is just a really bad color for me, and I feel it makes the car look like a "girls car". (Sorry Ray, nothing personal). I agree it was the color that made this car rare, But now it's rare due to it's condition and age. And this isn't a nice purple either, it's like a combination of purple and pink. I guess the debate will continue.......

·
Registered
144 Posts
That color ain't so bad...

My friend Donnie has one that will top that. He sucked in his gut, adjusted his cajones and kept it the original color...

What is it? Not a Coug, but a R-code 1972 Mach 1 in Playmate Pink w/white deluxe interior. A Hurst-shifted 4 speed and 4.11 gears, power windows, gauges, Magnums round out the all original package. FYI, Playmate Pink (aka Passionate Pink) was used for cars bought for the Playboy Magazine's Playmate of the Year -- usually Mustang ragtops back in the day. It was available as a special order to anyone who knew about it. It's code was WT9036.

Ya know what, it is waaayyy cool! I am not afraid to be seen it it. Sorry, I don't have a handy pic of the Mach, but here's one of a 1968 Playboy car.

Who ordered this feminine hot rod originally? None other than Shirley "Cha-Cha" Muldowney! Yep, all the paperwork is intact -- he bought it from her!

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Kelowna Cat, If you are haveing a hard time with the original color, you like the car and plan on keeping it, DO NOT paint it a color you don't like. Keep it all original otherwise if you like, and if you ever decide to get rid of it , it will still be worth something and the new owner can paint it the original color if he chooses.
I agree its not a nice purple. Its really a lavender and I dont like it either, and the prior owner probably didnt either, thats why they painted it a nice color now. Its your car paint it however you want to, To hell with the purist's, enjoy it however you like it.
Tim, that color dosnt compare at all to the Mopar Plum Crazy. One of my friends has a Plum Crazy Demon that was in last months or the month befores Mopar muscle magazine. mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I agree with MM.. even though I consider myself to be one of those purest:rolleyes: But that purple is just plum nasty:puke:

I do like the red... have fun with it

Don :cool:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Actually, the color I was thinking of is Panther Pink (Dodge) or Moulon Rouge (Plymouth). Here's one on another Canadian car (what's with those crazy canuks?) It's the rarest of the High Impact colors, maybe rightfully so, judging from all your opinions. If so, that may exactly the reason to paint it back! :)

Whatever you all say, I still think it's more interesting than another 'resale red' Cougar. It has nothing to do with being a 'purist'.......it's novel. It's cool at car shows to have something different. Also, I know a guy with a 71 Charger 440, Panther Pink, who was offered 35K for his car unrestored. The buyer already had 2 other PP cars!

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/classics/04muscle/010709a.html

.........and here, yet another Canada car

http://www.torinos.net/fca2001/purple71cyclone/

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Metro Mustang Paint Chips...

...are only the standard colors for the year offered. And they are incomplete as there is no S code in 1968. The special order paints would be from a) another carline or b) fleet sales. These would not show up on a "Mustang" color chart.

Cheers,
Dan "luv dem funky colors" Davis

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That purple Cyclone is more like the Plum Crazy. The Panther piss err pink isnt so bad. Looks better than the Lavender. Hell I've sold cars that actually looked good for way less than 35k, I hope he took the money and run.
Having a car thats different than every thing else at the car show is cool but not if everyone who looks at it gets sick or starts pointing and laughing uncontrollably.
Really though if the car is rare in that color I wouldnt blame anyone for keeping it original. mm

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
To all of you who do not like purple well no offence taken . I only repainted mine to its original purrple as was its original color and purple was quite trendy in 69. Mine as far as I know is the only purple cat still purple even though I had to repint it.The original color was changed at dealership on these cars when Rocky Mountain Insurance Company was shut down for reasons I will not state here.All cars went back to Univerasal Lincoln Mercury in Calgary and got repinted to some resaleable color.Being as mine is only purple cat left purple I am quite happy to have the notariety that that brings.I would not have chosen purple myself but was its factory color very rare and only a dozen or so of the original 11 are left.There are better examples of purple catz than mine but mine is factory color.I do not drive mine for its rareity being only one left restroed to its original codition. I even have bias ply tires on it and a brand newly redone 351 4 V that has not seen pavement yet.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Purr ple

The color is not on the basic color charts for 69 and was a fleet color.o see the history I have been able to clooect on Purr ple catz check my link at bottom titled Cougarland.1 of 111 is a rare cat in some ways but so far not realy worth anymore than any other 351 4 V windsor XR7 in similar condition in any other color.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts