Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need a little help here. There is a red wire with a blue connector next to my starter solonoid that is disconnected. I have looked at the wiring diagram but still don't understand what purpose it serves. Also there are only two wires going to my alt. Since I puchased the car the dash charge gauge has never worked. Today I started the car and used my test light to connect the red wire but the charge gauge never moved? The alt is charging 12.9 volts ( I have test equipment). Any ideas what this wire is for and why my gauge is not working.

DSCF0979.jpg DSCF0980.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ray,

That is the wire for the LF light prove-out and it goes on the starter side of the solenoid. It is commonly connected (incorrectly) to the battery side causing the LF lamp to be always illuminated (even with the key off).

Two wires to the alternator is correct for an XR7. Why the gauge doesn't move I am not sure, could be a bad gauge (burned movement winding which is easy to tell if you have the cluster out) or a wiring problem.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response but what the heck is the LF light prove-out??

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ray,

Prove-out tests the lamp (amongst others that have the same feature) when the ignition switch is in the start position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts