Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this website and thought it might be a good idea to register my Cougar. It's a 1969 XR-7 convertible with a 4 speed, power windows and a leather interior. The vin is 9F94M529995. Can anyone give me any info on this car?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome to the circus Floorit! The gang here is pretty cool, some of us even know things about cougars...:). I'm pretty sure one of us is gonna ask for pictures so be prepared! Is your car number really 9F94M not 9F91M? Check the drivers side door for a tag and please tell what's on it. Again,WELCOME!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. 9F94M is correct. What is the difference between 94 and 91?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an XR7 convertible so you might be right. It's been sitting in my garage for over 15 years now. I drove it through college and then parked it when I got married, had kids, and ran out of time. It has zero rust and now I'm ready to get it running again and start driving it. It will probably take several months but I can't wait to get it on the road.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Probably built the first week in December 1968.

Post up the second line of your door tag VIN information, also look for the buck tag mounted on your radiator core support near where the passenger side fender overlaps.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
According to Phil Parcells, this is a new VIN to the database and (based on surrounding VIN's) was probably a DSO 53 car with a December 5, 1968 (05M) build date. The best thing to do is order a Marti report, since this could be a fairly rare car. There were only 113 M-code, 4-speed, XR-7 convertibles made.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a standard Marti report. Will order the elite version and the invoice if the first report looks good. I was planning to do a resto-mod on this car but if it really is rare maybe I should consider a rotisseire restoration. Any thoughts on which way I should go? I'm not an expert on Cougars so I am open to suggestions. Bringing the car back to showroom condition will not require a ton of work - everything is there and there is no rust but it does show 40+ years of wear and tear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The door tag has the following info.:
BOD 76B
Color C
Trim 6A
Date 05M
DSO 53
? 65
83258 (not sure about the first 8 - difficult to read)

Buck tag matches the door tag

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The last two numbers on the door tag are transmission and rear axle. If they are a 6 and a 5, that indicates a close-ratio 4-speed with a 2.83:1 rear end. That would make your car 1 of 46 with that drivetrain combination.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
If they are a 6 and a 5, that indicates a close-ratio 4-speed with a 2.83:1 rear end. That would make your car 1 of 46 with that drivetrain combination.
Bill, you have that backwards.

Axle code 6 = 3.00 open
Trans code 5 = 4 speed wide ratio.

Making that car 1 of 67 with that engine/trans combination.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great information. Thanks to both of you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have one of those, too! ...in that '1 of 67', I mean.... Same 3.00 Open rear with an M-Code wide ratio 4-spd (in a 69 xr7 conv). Keep me posted on your progress and feel free to give me a shout if you need any help. I'd love to see that car sometime!

Bill, you have that backwards.

Axle code 6 = 3.00 open
Trans code 5 = 4 speed wide ratio.

Making that car 1 of 67 with that engine/trans combination.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great to meet someone (online) with a car just like mine! I will post some pics soon. I should probably fill out my profile also. The engine is at the machine shop now and I am working on the brakes, steering, fuel system, cooling system, etc. I am making a few changes to the car (rack and pinion steering, brakes, etc.) but I am not doing anything that will prevent me from bringing it back to 100% stock. I am saving all of the original parts. I am on this site a lot and I have not had to ask many questions because so far I have been able to find almost everything I need in the archives. I will definitely contact you if I have any questions. Thanks for the post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts