Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Current setup. Factory 3 speed, manual 4 drum brakes, manual steering and 351w pleasantly modified.

As winter aproaches I am looking at a project to keep me busy for a few months. With my back injury the manual Z bar clutch on my factory 3 speed is just too dificult to push over and over durring an extended outing. Plus my clutch needs replaced anyway so I want to inveatigate options. Also was looking at the Borg power steering kit and it will not fit with my Z bar. Lastly the gear ratio in the 3 speed makes for some epic torque and burn outs. However, highway driving is not a pleasure. High RPM at 65 plus. Not a good highway setup.

Options

1. Replace the clutch and whatever parts are worn on the 3speed and look into a hydraulic clutch conversion. This allows me to keep the original setup and lighten the left foot preasure. However it does not solve the highway issue and I still need to shift often. Also, the 3 speed does not like to go from 1st into 2nd at higher RPM so an all out race just does not happen.

2. In my stock pile of parts I have a rebuilt FMX, drive shaft, shifter and all the parts to do an FMX swap. However I do not want to loose the performance of my clutch and manual trans. The FMX would make cruz nite a lot softer on my back. A vert us not ment to be a drag car. I have an H code coupe for that. Here I gain extra gears for highway driving, lighten the shift preasure and retain my epic burnout show off fun. But I must shift and that will be an issue over time.

3. I have a rebuilt T5 with no shifter, back plate, bell housing, clutch and on and on. So I would need a good $$$ worth of parts to complete that swap. If I go this route I want a hydraulic clutch to make shifting as easy as possuble. That also gets rid of the Z bar and makes room for the borg. With this option I get extra gears for highway driving and retain my burnout showoff fun. But over time the shifting will agrivate my back but be less due to hydraulic clutch.

So, who has done either of these and what was you experience and parts list? My thoughts are leaning to the FMX because I want to cruz not drag. But I will still need the info on the T5 for my coupe as it progresses so all input is apreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Go with the FMX. A vert is a cruiser, not a dragster. Save the pain on your back, but leave the clutch pedal assembly in the car so if you ever sell the car on, the next owner can take it back to a manual if he wants. It preserves the value if you don't make changes that cannot be reversed.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The hydro conversion would make it much easier, but then I guess it's how long you think you may be recovering from your back troubles......if there's a chance it could cause you long term prob's I'd throw another option at you......AOD - yeah not the low $ fix again, but you gain the extra gears and a more long distance driver to boot. You can have it built to any level of performance. They are fairly plentiful in the yards still -- go with an 89 or newer vintage from a truck or large car.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey, FWIW, I'm thinking your easiest path to something you both like long term and might be able to live with in the short term could be a diaphragm clutch. I ran a Long style (OEM Ford type) my whole life until Isabel (and broke every piece of clutch linkage more than once). I went to a 11" Centerforce dual friction clutch and have been loving life ever since. The pedal is SO light they specifically tell you to REMOVE the assist spring on the pedal hanger because the pedal may not come back up if you don't! In my mind the pedal (now) feels every bit as easy as a hydraulic or cable operated clutch of say something like my daily driver, an '06 Scion xA. Really a pleasure and I installed a roller bearing pivot as well. Love it, you might too or at least wanted to throw that out there for you as a possible option (with the least amount of headache). Uses same throwout bearing as Long style pressure plate does.

Regards,

Bob

P.S. I have no issue with beating the snot out of the car at both the track and chirping second every chance I get on the street either. The pedal may be light, but the clutch works great with planty of grab. DF700000 is the part number, a little over $350 from Summit.

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
for me I would do the 5 speed conversion. but with your back troubles an AOD would be a great way to go. It woul cost you some money. I think you would like it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Come to think of it, if you go this way and were interested, I could sell you my very slightly used 10 spline clutch disc, had to buy a 26 spline unit to accomodate the TKO600 input shaft. You could get into one of these setups for under $300 this way.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great ideas. Thanks everyone. My back will never heal so whatever I do is perm. I had not condisdered the AOD idea. Thst is something to look into. Since I already had the FMX I figured cost wise that was the route to go. Anyone have a good reference for an AOD conversion so I can see what is involved?. Also, it must handle the power and my heavy right foot.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
PM me your email and I will shoot you a how to guide one of the guys here wrote up that's pretty good. the only thing I can add from my personal experience is that the later AOD's are better internally (89+) and that the newer valve bodies you can get for them will allow you to just about do away with the TV adjustment worries. You can build them as beefy as you need. Go with the hardened input shaft as that is the known weak point on them. Also if you get the trans out of a column shifted vehicle the selector shaft on the trans need to be rotated 180 for floor shifted car. (Can only be done while out of the vehicle). other than that is a pretty painless install. the crossmeber from the fmx will not quite line up. You can buy one or make your own fairly easy. You will likely have to chop 1" off your driveshaft but double check that first as there are various case lenghts depending on what it came out of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts