Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reassembled and installed the tilt steering column matching what was there when I disassembled it. Now, I'm thinking I repeated an error by the previous person who did it. Can anyone definitely say whether there is an extra spacer (in addition to the one that slides into the lower bracket) as shown in this photo?

If someone with an unmolested 69 with tilt could remove the lower cover, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone with a '69 with tilt willing to remove the lower cover for me? Only four screws... just be careful since the plastic is fragile. I've convinced myself the extra spacer is incorrect, but sure would like confirmation.

Here's a bit I learned - the rubber grommet that surrounds the coulmn in the lower plastic cover is different between tilt and fixed columns - not sure why.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL. I gave up waiting for someone to post, and went ahead and removed the spacers. Come in from the garage and >bango< you've posted. LOL. Looks like I guessed right. Thanks for the picture.

Curiously, it looks like you've got the fixed column version of the grommet. Does it fit good?

·
Registered
304 Posts
No it doesn't. Well i guess it is ok has a space or gap just like in the pic. Stays in and won't fall out or anything. I didn't think there would be two different ones. I put that tilt in some 25 years ago. I was just looking through some cars in a junk yard (when you use to see cougars in junk yards) and noticed it was a tilt. put it in the straight position and told the owner at yard it was fixed column. Sold it to me for $25. Pulled it out car so fast probably don't have all the parts i need. Never hooked up the side tilt stuff. I just pull on the cable if i want it to tilt out of way. Looks like i may be missing a flat bar above the column.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You are right. That is the part i was thinking i am missing. Will look at that closer next time.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm second-guessing again.... Here are what I believe (but not certain) are the different versions of the grommet. The tilt version is thicker/taller on the top by almost exactly the width of an extra spacer. Gah! Looking for a photo of an unmolested example again....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The plastic/vinyl seal is the same, tilt or non-tilt. No "other" listed in the parts books..... Not sure what you have there, but check the part number, could be a modified version, or perhaps a strange production variance....

Normally there was only one spacer installed... but people moved things to fit their needs...hence extra spacers.

Steve

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Steve. The 1975 MPC does list different suffixes for the tilt vs. fixed column grommets - c9wy-3k680-a (fixed) vs. -b (tilt). The pictures above came from John Benoit, but he wasn't sure about the one on the left. WCCC lists the tilt version separately too, but doesn't have a picture. http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/69colgromtilt.html There's no part number molded into the ones I have.

So, at least it isn't going to damage anything with or without the extra spacers... that's good news.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The tilt column in my 69 had the doubled up spacers like the first pic, before I disassembled the car for restoration.
Sounds like good data to me, Rob!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think, we fixed the squeek, but now we thinks there's more squeeks coming from the seat and seat frame.
Nope, column squeek still there, damn! It wouldn't be such an issue, if it only sqeeked when you went over a bump, but it does it, all the damn time. Like, if you hold the wheel stock still, no squeek, but once you adjust for the wander in the steering, back comes the squeek.
MrEos, are you able to take a photo of where the bracket is, in relation to the column. TIA

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just a bit of info, cars may or may not have an extra spacer. They were used both from the factory and as a dealer adjustment based on fit. IIRC all Mustang Fastbacks came with extras for example. I don't have my books handy but I think there is a note about it in the assembly manual. Hawkrod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts