Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
wvcat said:
Shes looking good!!! I noticed you are missing the vacumn tee that mounts on the firwall (center behind the motor) and I was wondering if you changed your altenator brackets because the coil would never clear in that position on my car (same351W)
Keep up the good work
John

This is the only vacuum tee that comes to mind?

Also, the coil is mounted where the previous one was (I just compared pictures to be sure), but we haven't test-fit the alternator.

Here's hoping.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
thats one of the tees, what about the one on the front that goes to the distributor and the carb and the, errrr, i forgot where it goes for now. it looks like its still missing.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Shes looking good!!! I noticed you are missing the vacumn tee that mounts on the firwall (center behind the motor) and I was wondering if you changed your altenator brackets because the coil would never clear in that position on my car (same351W)
Keep up the good work
John

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

No second tee that I can see? o_O

Checking my handy dandy Chilton's guide, I see a diagram for an assembly on the firewall on 1970 models. The picture above is for the 69s.

So I guess I'm ok, you had me worried there :)

Sheesh, the 1970 models got really complicated. Now I'm glad I have a 69! :)

Edit: doh, just saw badcatt already said this! :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
We have the engine reassembled now, save for the power steering:

And it's ALIVE (with my dad in shock and horror?):

It's burning the oil off of the exhaust manifolds. I MAY have spilled a little. o_O Cooling wasn't hooked up yet here, we were just seeing if it'd turn over. Now the only thing not hooked up is the steering. :)

It sounds GREAT! I can't wait to drive it. Tomorrow, I hope...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Its good to hear her purr again isn't, theres no feeling like the feeling of acomplishment. I was wondering if your export braces were missing or if you just have them off to work on it? BTW I love the valve covers, I might end up with those on my car.
John
wvcat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
John, I like those covers too, but contact scott drake about the new cougar covers. I got some for my fairlane and they are cool. They fit 289/302/351W and have cougar on them. Here's my fairlane covers. I wish they nade them to fit the 351C, I would definately get them if the did.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I was actually going to get similar Ford valve covers like that from Ford Racing. But they were l ike $50 more, so I went with the Edelbrock elite's. I have all Edelbrock parts anyways, Ford Racing parts are overpriced.

Here it is now. Running good.

Had a scare today, the tranny wouldn't shift...and I had to go to work.

Called home...my dad dumped a bunch of fluid into it, and it was ok. He didn't open it up, but he said it was breaking the tires loose pretty easily.

I can't wait to get home and drive it.

Only wierd issue is, our accelerator pedal is pretty loose/high up. It's a bit disconcerting.

Always something to fix :)

Oh, no shock tower braces. Didn't have any. Going to pick some up ASAP.

Also, that stupid AC bracket is there because the power steering mounts to it. Sucks, but hey. Going to try and find a less intrusive bracket.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Cool looking covers Rick, I am going to get some sometime but the priority now is paint & trim. After I get over this hurdle I will be looking under the hood for valve covers & air cleaner. Then who lnows....maybe cat #2.
Hey Munch,
I'd try to put those on soon, cougars are known to crack around the shock towers and I know they don't need any help getting started. I have my stock ones as spares if your interested but you might want to do what I did and go for the one piece export brace, they do a better job and are available chrome. You can pull that a/c bracket out and put a shim or washers in to space the power steering pump, mine was like that for years til I decided to put the air back on.
John
wvcat

21 - 30 of 30 Posts