1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
sweet. i wanted to get the Performer RPM Manifold, but it seems that even the reagular Performer has issues clearing the hood. i have a small ding from where the carb stud hit it. and its not overly long or anything.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Cool, always love looking at progress pictures.

I have one question though. Does your car handle ok, it looks like its bent on the front pass. side, or is that just the angle of the pictures on your link.
Keep the pix coming.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
which pic is that???

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dark7068 said:
Cool, always love looking at progress pictures.

I have one question though. Does your car handle ok, it looks like its bent on the front pass. side, or is that just the angle of the pictures on your link.
Keep the pix coming.

Rick
That's the fender damage you're seeing. It is out of whack, because the fender needs replacing (and probably the ext. too)

:)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
OK, just looks worse then it is. Just checking. Thanx Munche. Sorry about that, I'm into safety in my old age.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
those Demon carbs are nice. i know a guy with one on a 67 Camaro. works nice, but he said he liked the 750 Holley he had before better. one gripe about the Demon ---------- damn 4 corner idle screws :angryfi:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next shipment of parts came in:

Now all we need is a timing chain cover, and the hard part starts. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Demon carb

I love the Demon. I even like the flexibility of the four corner idle screws. it takes a little bit to get it setup just right, but once you do, it is a very good carb. I have had both the Carter (Edelbrock) 600 and the Holley 600 on my current 351 and I will never go back to either. The Demon's throttle response, driveability, maintenance and full throttle acceleration are all better on my engine. Others may have had different results, but I am very happy with the Demon. Besides, it does not leak gas onto my intake manifold like every Holley I have ever owned eventually did.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible
http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, we've located a timing chain cover for $80. If we don't beat that price at the swap meet on sunday (we're also looking for a new distributor) then we'll pick it up. Re-assembly should start next week.

Demon carbs were too damned expensive for me! ;)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm not sure if the clearance is the same on a 70 but I was able to use the performer rpm manifold, holley. and summit el cheapo chrome air cleaner on wvcat without hood clearence problems. Of course it would be nice to fit a taller air cleaner. Looks like you have a nice project car there Munch.
John

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
damn i almost forgot about the Pomona swap meet this Sunday.....

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Swapmeet in winter must be nice were just happy when the sun shines this time of year in mich, swapmeets seem a life time away.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

A couple of new pics of my parts :) this weekend should start reassembly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We did some work today, finally secured a timing chain cover ($80!)(!*@%() and started installing.

Got the timing chain/cover, cam, lifters, pushrods, intake all installed

The carb and valve covers are just sitting on there for the picture :)

http://www.iz-us.com/images/cars/cougar/engine buildup/

The new pics are labeled "install"

We're hoping to have it running by Monday if everything goes smoothly...

But when does everything go smoothly? :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw these pics over at CVN.. barry nice! and i must say i'm jealous! i was seriously considering a 1st gen Cougar as a project car after college!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Today we installed Fuel pump, distributor, water pump, coil (oddly the hardest part...getting that stupid bracket to tighten and still stay straight, AND fit the dipstick tube on there...)

Still needs some vacuum tubing, and we need some clamps for the fuel line (blah!) Haven't re-installed the new fixed radiator or anything, and a few other things.

The pic I just have valve covers and air cleaner sitting on it to check out how it looks again :)

Here it is not all dolled up:

We should get it running sometime this week, the car is running out of parts for us to need to buy. *grin*

Oh, and I'm thinking of paint somewhere along the lines of this RoadRunner (color wise):

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Shes looking good!!! I noticed you are missing the vacumn tee that mounts on the firwall (center behind the motor) and I was wondering if you changed your altenator brackets because the coil would never clear in that position on my car (same351W)
Keep up the good work
John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts