Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my thread on the repair of the 69 . It has a lot of work to be done to it , but the goal is a real nice driver quality . It also will take a few years as it will be worked on as i finish a couple more that are closer .

I went over a lot of 69XR7vert ECI thread and see a lot I am going to be involved in . This is my first convertible , and I don't want it to go south so a lot of thinking in the bracing will be done .

I hope these parts are available I have yet to study on the Cougar on what is and is not . I think I can use a few Mustang parts since the plat forms are so close .

The inner rocker and the inner part that looks like another inside brace .

A few pics to start of the rust factor .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is the center structure although its crusty I think it will clean up and be fine .

Is this part of the floor or a inner brace coming down from the top.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I may have a line on some very nice quarters a guy had in southern Iowa...I decided not to buy them, but I may regret it! I'll shoot you his contact info at some point here. Looks like you have the opportunity to ECI status too! ;>) fight the good fight!! You'll find that mustang parts aren't quite right for the cats so your best bet is to try for nice used if you can get it, saves you a bunch of fab time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad69 Thank You I have found skins on line but don't exactly know where they will connect or the fitment . I need some of the outer wheel house also , not really wanting to fab it from something else . That type of fitting can cause dangerous LOL . I would rather find some clean used and install them .

At the point of sounding a little behind what is the ECI that I have been seeing . Bobby D.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
East Coast Idiot.
This term refers to one who takes on a rusty project when there are nice shells available from the west coast.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is the center structure although its crusty I think it will clean up and be fine .
So what do you use on something this rusty, one to stop the rust and second so you can weld to it still?? This looks like a lot of work, have fun with it!

Michael

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michael a good old fashion grind , thick wire cup brush , then I will treat it with 3M metal conditioner . Also a sand blasting to dig a little deeper . Some scaling metal isn't bad it's whats missing that gets my attension .

·
Registered
224 Posts
Michael a good old fashion grind , thick wire cup brush , then I will treat it with 3M metal conditioner.
Then can you put on weld through primer and you're good to go on welding on what ever you need to?

Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well once its clean I hope I get some thing to weld to , other wise I have to fab the metal and would much rather get new and replace any or all of it .

I dont have a lot of faith in the weld thru primer . A cohort at worked used it on a Charger he skinned the quarters and it rusted at the joint ( he did crimp and lap joint it though ) . I like metal prep and a good dose of sealer . Epoxy primers and the use of all metal , seem to hold on very well .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The West coast cars can bite you , another cohort ( who likes Mopars ) picked up a 70 Cuda from Cali . He shipped it home to find out it looked like a patched Illinois car and just came back , as with Ebay he lost .

Family in Alabama has a body shop and asked him to look for Mustangs for me , he also said that the people where buying northern car fixing them , then selling them with a Alabama title . So this car game can be a bundle to play with .

I once sold this 67 Mustang Fastback , great options but rotted to the earth . All he cared about was a clean title sure is was a nice car back in California .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I agree - weld through is of no real benefit. Its just a convenience thing for keepiong flash rust away while your working it. It needs to be properly primed and sealed afterwards. I like to use an acid etch then go over that with an epoxy high-fill primer, then seal it just before paint....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Badcat exactly Don't want anything growing back at me in a year or so .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well time for a little story on the car . Guy I work with Steve purchased this 69 back in 1978 from a lot . The DSO is originally from New York it first years , maybe why it has bad floor rust , that and he left it outside a year with the top down .

His wife of the time had a small accident with the left front thats why the fender is blue of a parts car 69 XR7 , he pulled the console and door panels before he scraped it . The repairs where started on the accident and they were having the guy patch it up and repaint, but as side workers go sometimes it never was finished .

He was asking me to buy it so that he would see it on the road again but he never said it was a convert all these years . I finally went to see it and even though it's rough I brought it home . I put a can of see foam in the oil and was starting it with cap fulls of gas . I heard a lot of stuck valves , so for a week I would short run it and it was all freeing up .

Today I came home was tinkering again and decided to put in 3 gallons and see if the pump would pic up the fuel . Well after about a half a dozen caps it took off and it started unsticking every thing with the sea foam getting some good circulation . So here it is after not running since the early 80's .

A short video of it starting on its own .
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3067136450102070080POcwsc

added this this morning idle is down a lot and closer shot .

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3060262700102070080OIldHp

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tonight I pulled the seats and carpet out , this is not bad for a drop top and I am willing to tackle it with no fear . I talked with wccc and he even mentioned he uses the mustang inner structure , I have enough left to rebuild the inner rocker . I also won't hesitate to use mustang torque boxes and flooring , you have to work all the aftermarket panel to fit any way right .

I am just glad my datum line of frame rails are still strong as most the other metal .

Vid and some pics .

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3066822640102070080ObOjtf vid

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2607441310102070080JgHVOV

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'd replace those inner rockers if I were you, but that's just me. Mine looked similar. Reconstructing that and missing middle vertical piece would be very challenging, maybe more work than changing out altogether IMO. The Mustang repros work fine on a Cougar, you just have to append a few pieces to make them resemble the originals - which would be the case Mustang or Cougar.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian the very inner structure brace I am replacing , its the inner rocker painted green that I will rebuild if I can't locate some good replacements . taking a car down this far we always brace better then the factory ever will .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wow that looks daunting....sounds like she purrs right along though! Kinda funny they ordered a standard and then paid for air conditioning huh? Did the guy in southern Iowa get back to you on the quarters yet? He cut enough out to really help you out I think.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No not yet Mike , Has it been awhile since you found out about the pieces ?

Just like my mustang , options , power steering , air conditioning , GT full console , GT hood . But opted out of the power disc brakes ??

Took the Cougar outside and degreased the engine compartment , And scrubbed 30 years out of the top . Amazing that the hydraulics work like new , I checked the side arms and all is fine no cracks . I will go threw it though and renew most of it .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just did a cross measurement of the floors between the Cougar and the Mustang . The both measure out at a little over 55 inches , this means I can convert it to all mustang substructure and floors . Mustang don't have the protruding panel it is just a cap over the inner rocker structure .

degreased the engine

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3060262700102070080OIldHp

Scrubbed the top

Air shocks still hold air

Transition pan looks good from here

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just spent some time at NPD and I think the Mustang rocker assembly for the convertible Will work just fine may not match the Cougar but under the carpet who will know and the core strength will be there as it is needed .

1 - 20 of 66 Posts