Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I hope this is not a silly question to some of you, but I would wondering..... is the 1969xr7 Cluster compatible with 1969 Mustang? Before I have tomatoes thrown at me, please hear me out first :confused: (and I'll make it brief);
I'm considering slightly modernizing my 1969Xr7 with a simple air-ride system and custom after market digital dash. I found an awesome looking dash on Dakota Digital, but it mentions that it's for a 1969 Mustang. I noticed that Mustang and Mercury used similar or same parts for exterior. Does the same thing count for interior- specifically speaking of the cluster/gauges???
I tried searching this site before posting, but was unable to find anything. Any info you gurus have would be very appreciated. Thanks

the cluster/dash can be seen here:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=671/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd791.htm

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The cluster itself is not compatible as it is a different shape. I would recommend searching for individual gauges to replace the ones in your Cougar, if that is the look you are going for. The circuit board behind the cluster is going to be substantially different, but a digital conversion has to have its own wiring.

Be careful and do your homework before you buy anything. The starting circuit for the Cougar XR7 runs through the tach, and unless you bridge it somewhere, you have to have a tach installed to start the car. There are other challenges as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response 2720r. Fortunately for me, a previous owner somehow bypassed the tach and installed a push button start on my Coug and I actually like it. However, I will take everything that you mentioned into consideration. In fact, I'm kinda leaning more towards getting separate gauges as you suggested. Thanks again!!

·
Contributing Member
5,867 Posts
Dakota Digital have a set of older style digital gauges that suit a 69 Cougar. Bruce Habel installed a set. His id on here is Bruce. You should PM him for details

Check with bruce to see if he used the Mustang kit

You can bridge the ignition circuit easily by joining the wires that go into the existing tach

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Leon, I'll will PM Bruce to see if he would be kind enough to provide me with some pointers. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts