Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to starting work on the interior of my 69 Eliminator resto and need to replace many rusted screws. Most I know or can get the proper ones, but some I'm not sure of. The interior is black.
I ordered an interior screw kit (fleebay) and ALL the screws I got are bright shiny (chrome/SS). AMK doesn't have a kit for Cougars, unfortunately.

Windshield-headliner screws (only the upper screw shows so is important) and
A pillar screws and
Sun visor center bracket screw ...
what color are they supposed to be?

What screws are required for the back seat quarter panel; I think there are only 2 at the bottom??

And if you have the AMK numbers for all of the above, so much the better still!!

I do NOT want opinions; I want definite factual advice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I purchased interior screws kit from John's Classic Cougars. Not sure if he is rebranding or put it together himself. Everything included tho seemed to match the originals in my cars. His kits are broken down by year, xr7/std, convt/HT. Not sure if Eliminators had anything unique in this regard.

I've only had convertible-style back seat interior side panels, so I'm not sure if it applies to your car. On mine there are two chromed head screws with collars at the front of the panel, two more at the rear (covered by seat back) and then an ordinary screw (or 2?) from the outside going in at the top.

·
Registered
839 Posts
'A' Pillar Screws, Windshield Head Liner Trim Screws and Sun Visor Center Clip Screws were ALL Shiny Heads, otherwise they would have to had been Color-Coded to the Interior. None were Black, the Quarter Panel Screws were also Chrome Head.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks magcat. What I was hoping because that's what I received. Now to find the correct screws for the quarter panels; can you help with the AMK numbers? I believe there's only 2 near the bottom, quite long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts