Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, just pulled the headliner out of my 1969. The PO had tried to install a headliner and it looked like crap. My question is what is the color code of the bows front to back? From what I can tell they all have purple on the ends except the front which has green:uhoh: Also how do the sail panels come out and the front winsheild pillar pieces?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah that figures Ray - he probably wasn't watching what he was doing when he pulled them and they do go in specific set of holes - I just can't recall if it was a color code or what. I wonder if the hole sets were different for standards vs XR7's? Not sure. When I did mine I had a new headliner and put the rods through it and had help in lining it up to see which sets of holes seemed to line up best. DO you have the glass out or are you doing this with glass installed? I can't remember for sure but I was thinking that there are different length rods front to back but my memory is sketchy..?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Don't the rods just go shorter to longer, front to back? And in the bottom holes?
When mine came out, for the roof to get replaced, I marked them. But that is a long way from where I am now...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glass will need to come out to do it right. Front windshield needs replaced due to a crack. I have messed with the bows and not sure they are the correct ones as all but one appears to fit right. I justed bought a set off of e-bay and between the two I will figure it out. Guys thanks for you feed back.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys here is what I have figured out so far. After new bows arrived they were the same as my current (although some of mine were bent). The bows are indeed shorter in the front than the back. 2 are exactly the same. Bows go in the bottom holes or the headliner will be hitting the roof insulation and center roof brace. I am awaiting delivery of my roof insulation (Reflect-A-sheild) and once that is installed I will procede with the headliner installation. Quick question does the headliner material also run down the front A-Pillars next to the windshield?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No, it just curves around with the trim work - but it won't hurt to have a little tag there to help keep things in place - it will get covered anyway. I think I used similar stuff for insulation and it worked very well. (foil faced on one side)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts