Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 69 std vert and a 70 XR7 hardtop, the 70 is mostly a parts car at this point. My question is , I would like to swap my 70 XR7 dash panels, the XR7 has factory tach and clock on passenger side. Do I need to switch harnesses? What problems will I encounter with 69 steering column and anything else?

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, you need to switch harnesses and the column as well since the ignition switch is in the column on 70.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
If you're not also swapping the lower dash, you'll end up with a hole in your existing 69 dash where the ignition was. In 70, they put the lighter there so you could do that and just have two lighters. Your convertible top control switch would be different between a 69 Standard and a 70 XR7 as well. If you stick with the 69 switch hanging down under the dash, you may have to modify the 70 XR7 harness to work. Conversly, if you change to the 70 XR7 top switch type/location, you may have to aquire a top harness since a hardtop may not have the proper wiring to the far right rocker switch. That switch was used for a defogger in hardtops if so equipped.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If you're not also swapping the lower dash, you'll end up with a hole in your existing 69 dash where the ignition was. In 70, they put the lighter there so you could do that and just have two lighters. Your convertible top control switch would be different between a 69 Standard and a 70 XR7 as well. If you stick with the 69 switch hanging down under the dash, you may have to modify the 70 XR7 harness to work. Conversly, if you change to the 70 XR7 top switch type/location, you may have to aquire a top harness since a hardtop may not have the proper wiring to the far right rocker switch. That switch was used for a defogger in hardtops if so equipped.
Jeff,

The top wiring is its own harness, the power portion will just need to be plugged into the main harness, IIRC there is sufficient wire to either go up to switch panel, or to the over radio location.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I did this swap before. You will want the lower dash from the 70. The steering column mount a little deferent. You will need the altnator harness for the XR-7. You can still use the 69 top switch. Plan on a couple days to do this. You may think about using the XR-7 interior trim, or at least the front seats.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Jeff,

The top wiring is its own harness, the power portion will just need to be plugged into the main harness, IIRC there is sufficient wire to either go up to switch panel, or to the over radio location.
Dave,
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don't do it... You will have to change WAY more than you realize! Headlight harness is different, alt harness, on and on... You can add a tach and clock without changing any wiring and add extra gauges in your console (like a Shelby).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts