Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tear apart a pretty well restored car a few weeks before a national show- well, yeah, sure!

Hey, my OCD kicked in and I decided that the condition of everything forward of my radiator support just wasn't cutting it vs the rest of my car. Solution: re-restore the grille, all supporting operational parts and fasteners, bumper, etc, but this time (6 years later) with a little more attention paid to getting it right.

Can someone tell me with authority, the proper finishes on all grill and headlight-related parts? A few of the bigger things in question were the vac cannister/motor which I believe was zinc black (use a black hi-temp paint or a crinkle black?), the headlight door operating shafts (satin black like the grill or natural?) and all of the fasteners (were the grill bolts and u-clips zinc-coated, black or natural?) Should the hood latch and horn attachment bolts be zinc-coated or natural? I "think" I know that the actual grill color is just a satin black, slightly shinier than the engine bay- please confirm?

I attached a few pics below for reference...would REALLY appreciate you guys chiming in, here. Want to get the whole thing back together before next weekend (4th July). If you have some pics that can help tell the story, please post them!

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...also:

Headlight door opening spring color?
Horn and horn mounting bracket colors?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
When you throw in the words "with authority", you set us up for a good debate. Here's what I think I know about the subject. Hood latch and hood latch mechanism are both phosphate. Hood latch/vacuum cannister upright supports and the hood latch support to radiator core support plate are all slop grey. Bolts are all silver cad. Nut plates are phosphate. Headlight door rotating mechanism and springs are all natural. Headlight vacuum cannister is phosphate. Horns and horn mounting brackets were satin black. Grill was satin black, including the background behind the running cat and I believe the edges of the chrome corral, up to the forward facing part, were black as well. Looks like you're missing the bushings that go in the upright supports where the rotating mechanism passes through.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Hood latch/vacuum cannister upright supports and the hood latch support to radiator core support plate are all slop grey."

So, this is the correct idea for the cannister and hood latch support? Assume many people are 'mis-restoring them'? Can't recall seeing that stuff other than black, but that (as we all know) never makes it right!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
jdalu, reading your post gives me the shivers! Can't help you and with my project after reading this I am getting a little paranoid again. Is very frustrating trying to figure all the corrects when there are so many different opinions and those that are ok verses correct. I sure want to do it right but not sure I will get it all right the first time or if it will be a life long learning process. Good luck. I think cars that are detailed out are beautiful!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdalu, reading your post gives me the shivers! Can't help you and with my project after reading this I am getting a little paranoid again. Is very frustrating trying to figure all the corrects when there are so many different opinions and those that are ok verses correct. I sure want to do it right but not sure I will get it all right the first time or if it will be a life long learning process. Good luck. I think cars that are detailed out are beautiful!!
Harvey-

No need for paranoia or the shakes! There are people in this forum who will do their level best to help whether you creating a "time machine" or just the way they like it!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I.m just hoping people don't get sick of me or my questions before I get the car done. An aweful lot of info on this sight to decipher and put away.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
"Hood latch/vacuum cannister upright supports and the hood latch support to radiator core support plate are all slop grey."

So, this is the correct idea for the cannister and hood latch support? Assume many people are 'mis-restoring them'? Can't recall seeing that stuff other than black, but that (as we all know) never makes it right!
Many of the "restored" cars you see have had a rattle can black restoration. It's alot easier to just spray everything black than to disassemble and paint everything separately and correctly. Phosphate and slop grey can look like faded black after 40 years so many folks just assume it was black and paint it that color. Shock tower braces were also slop grey but I didn't mention that earlier since the original poster didn't ask about them.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Even though the MPC gives a part number for center support bushings and room for them none ever came that way.
Really? So did they produce the bushings after the fact to address a noise complaint or something? I purchased an NOS pair in the original, old style packaging so they were produced back then.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even though the MPC gives a part number for center support bushings and room for them none ever came that way.
Don-

Since I posted this earlier today I surfed through the online catalog, and forgot you and MrVacuum were rebuilding cannisters...

I guess my finish question is solved in that they were a black phosphate of some tone?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don-

Since I posted this earlier today I surfed through the online catalog, and forgot you and MrVacuum were rebuilding canisters...

I guess my finish question is solved in that they were a black phosphate of some tone?
You are correct but I have no NOS examples at present to show you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What is the process for putting a phosphate finish on the hood latch and mechanism?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts