Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have removed my glass for the new headliner install. Ended up breaking the front windsheild getting it out but it had a crack in it already. So the front uses no gasket but the back does. Any reason I can not use the same stuff they use on the windsheild for the back glass? What is the thickness of the material they use for the front glass (they list 2 diffrent sizes ).Also is the front winsheild the same as a 1969 mustang coupe?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Front glass is same as mustang, the rope seal to use is 3/8, you need to use the rubber gasket on the rear to hold your head liner in place.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info. The thing I guess I don't understand then is what holds the headliner in place at the windshield? I know it has a trim piece so I guess the combination of glue, sunvisors and trim hold it in place.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You are correct, be sure to to use glue for headliners only, the others won't hold.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The stuff I used didn't hurt anything and held up better than the 3m stuff that is for headliners - it was recommended by the paint jobber/autobody shop. I used a bit around the rear area as well since I did not pull the glass out - it was a bit of a battle to get it smooth/straight. Even with the glass out you are still going to want to have a bunch of clips/clamps as you work it. I found those little clamp type paper clips work very well - along with the smaller ratcheting one hand clamps for extra sets of "hands" I also took a bunch of "sticks" and used them as spreaders to hold the headlined in position against to roof while pulled things taught. (various lenghts from seat/floor to roof and spreaders on the ends of them)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks for the info. As for the front windsheild install did you use the primer they refer to for the rope seal?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Didn't do a windshield but if you can get the search function to work better than I can - there was a real good how-to post a few years back where they really covered this topic.....I keep getting tons of dead ends on it...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts