Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Eliminator which I have owned since 1990. I replaced the rear springs in 1996. However the other day I looked at the back of it and the left side is lower. I measured the distance from the wheel wells to the ground and the left side is about 1" lower than the right. I did a quick inspection and I did not see any obvious cause. So any ideas? I currently have KYB shocks on all four corners.

My objective is to raise the back end some however I don't know what method to use - air shocks, new springs, additional leaf?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well, I know everybody's gonna warn you about air shocks and how the body won't support them and push through the well....but i haven't had any issues yet. You could have the springs re-arched or replace them again. An extra leaf may stiffen the ride to much....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad69cat, I agree that adding another leaf will cause a stiffer ride, so I am not thinking that is a not an option. I have talked to a friend who has a 70 Mustang with air shocks and he said it works as long as you don't jack it up too much. BTW, nice looking Eliminator, it has the "rake" I am looking for. What size wheels and tires do you have on it? I have the original 14" wheels that came on my eliminator and I am thinking about getting a set of Magnum 500's.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Bad69cat, I agree that adding another leaf will cause a stiffer ride, so I am not thinking that is a not an option. I have talked to a friend who has a 70 Mustang with air shocks and he said it works as long as you don't jack it up too much. BTW, nice looking Eliminator, it has the "rake" I am looking for. What size wheels and tires do you have on it? I have the original 14" wheels that came on my eliminator and I am thinking about getting a set of Magnum 500's.
still running 14" but 15's actually give you a better selection of tire sizes. I'm planning on bumping up next year maybe aftermarket rims too....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts