Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue 1: I was waiting for my main harness below the dash (used grade A), to arrive from WCC, and I had to hear the new motor run. I ran a hot lead from the battery, with in-line resistor, and used a remote starter to fire the car up. So I know the starter and solenoid are good. Now I have the harness installed, but the car will not start from the key switch. When I toggle between the run and off positions, I hear a sound at the regulator. Nothing happens when I turn to the start position. Does the backup light harness act as a nuetral saftey and need to be plugged in? Possible bad key switch?

Issue 2: With the key switch in the run position, I get 5.75 volts to the positive side of coil. I tried the remote starter to fire the car. It tries to start but stops running when the starter is disengaged. I have read about the tach being a problem because it is in line to the coil. Does that sound like part of my problem? Key switch too? I would think if I had voltage to the coil, it should be fine.

My solenid is wired as follows: blue/red prove-out wire is on the starter cable side of solenoid. Black wire is on the positive cable side of solenoid. Small press on terminal with brown wire is on the "I" ignition terminal. Small press on terminal with blue/red wire is on connector is on the "S" starter terminal. The 1969 Cougar/Mustang electrical manual conficts and showns the press on terminals installed differently in different sections of the book (confusing).

I appreciate your help, as I am dying to start the car from the key for the first time....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like you have it right - Blue/red on S terminal/ brown on I terminal manual trans would have the NSS to deal with though.....make sure it's working/bypassed and yes it does go through the backup harness I think - 4 prong plug - looks like red/blue and black/red goes through the NSS

·
Registered
309 Posts
The 5.7 volts at the coil is good, should be between 4.6 and 6. something, if you do have the nss hooked up try moving the gear selector from park to nuetral with the key in the start position, BUT KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE!! This will tell you if the nss is out of adjustment. The back up switch is also a part of the nss.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
With the key in the on position can you start the motor by jumping the battery side post on the solenoid to the closest post on the front. Sorry I doubt gave one in front of me. This is the start method where you use a screwdriver to start from under the hood. I know my explanation is sketchy at best but if you know what I mean try if not don't. You can burn up a good screw driver and solenoid. Anyway..... if it starts like this the problem is likely the key switch in the dash. If it turns but will not fire it could be the switch or wiring. I'd it will not turn at all then it is a solenoid issue.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes you can jump the solenoid that way and it will turn over and with the key on, if there is voltage to the other front post (marked I for ignition) it should run. If you don't have voltage at the other post then back track the source to the ign switch for the loss of power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts