Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black camera case bezel around the gages on the dash is degrading - coroding or discoloring - turing cloudy at the edges. It does not appear to be losing the finish. So what is the best method to fix this? Just repaint it? If so what color of black?

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you are talking about the rings that goes around the gauges, then paint with a semi gloss black, if you are good with a striping brush, that would work, if the gauges are in the car, a lot of taping will be required for spraying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about the plate that goes around the 4 gage pods which is black on Eliminators but woodgrain on others. I was thinking of the satin black also but wanted to know if there was something closer to original. I will be taking the dash out to put in a new stereo system so now is the time for this work to be done.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I would think that that the SEMA black satin vinyl die is what you want for that....I need to to refinnish mine at soem point too and that's what I had planned on

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally took apart the dash to install a USA-230 stereo. I got a closer look at the camera case finish. It is actually some sort of a plastic layer on it which gives it the finish. The cloudy edges is where the layer is starting to loosen. I tried the mothers back to black and it helped a little but I could tell that it was not going to last. So I figured I had nothing to lose so I bought a can of satin black and sprayed it as I thought I needed something to make the plastic layer stick. It did not hurt the finish at all and it looks great! I need to wait for it to dry and will try to figure out how to post pics on here.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Piece of pie huh! Yeah dash stuff holds up great, seats and armrests - not so much. They call it a "dye" but it's still fairly surficial, under heavy wear it will need re-applications....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts