Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need to remove the dash pad to replace my tach. Other than the screws that hold it in place any other suprises, tricks or tips?

·
Registered
32 Posts
NOt really. There are a lot of hiden screws to get the dash plastic pieces off as well as quite a few for the dash pad. The gauge pod is held in with 4 screww. The wiring attaches to the back of the gauge pod with one big multi contact plug connection, in addition there is another smaller two contact connection. There is not a lot of room to discount the plugs. I've had mine out a couple of times. Once to replace it as it would not go past 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
If you are dealing with an XR7 there are the additional wires to the map light and rocker switches. The trickiest thing to disconnect is the speedometer cable. It is hard to grasp and release unless you use a small pliers (at least that's what I did). Remove the side trim and the radio bezel and then the inner trim pieces along with the pieces that go below and around the steering wheel area. All the screws that actually hold thedash pad will then be exposed. Pat Price

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Radio bezel does not need to be removed to get the dash pad out.

Three screws in the defroster vents, one at each end under the side trim pieces (2 screws hold each of these on), three (four?) above the glove box, one at each lower corner of the cluster (Hard plastic moldings on the column and lower edge of cluster opening need to be taken out), two screws above the radio. Disconnect the clock/light/switch wires (XR 7) and the center vent if car has a/c. It takes about 15 minutes if you know what you're doing.

Cluster removal after all this is as described above.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the reply's. I may wait to do the tach upgrade when I do the AC upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts