Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for 20 years for this car before I found it last summer. Not the original color - it's painted a beautiful blue color. I bought it and immediately got a job offer 400 miles away at the beach that I couldn't refuse. Soooo...new house payment, no garage, my cougar is for sale.

Power everything, automatic, 390, convertible, not fully restored but still beautiful enough that the local congressman uses it for parades (really).

If you want pics or more info and you're not wasting my time, email me. My price is $15k. Look it up, boys, thats a bargain. Only 344 of these rolled off brand new. How many do you think are left? Oh, yeah, it runs like a scalded....cat.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Pics please

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good morning everyone who is posting or emailing. I will post pics this evening. Sorry for the delay.

The car is located in Rockbridge County, VA and I live at the outer banks, NC for those of you who want to see it. My brother in law is garaging it for me and will show it after he returns from guard duty (week after next, I belive).

Vicky

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Seems like an odd thing to delete. Maybe original owner was a woman with a big hairdo.... or maybe it was Whiplash Willie who made a fortune from rear-end accidents.
I have been in communication with Phil Parcels about this as well. What we have determined, heads rests were optional in '68, hence none were deleted, in MY '69 they were standard on a Cougar or Mustang, however, FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 202 which went into effect on January 1, 1969, required passenger cars to have head restraints in the front outboard seating positions. This car had a scheduled build date of Dec. 11, 1968, so they were able to be deleted. He also does not recall ever seeing a "headrest delete" before.

When the photos were posted, I almost stated that the front seats had been recovered incorrectly due to no head rests, documentation shows I would have been incorrect, I'm glad I did not say anything then.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Very interesting discussion about the head rest delete option (or lack there of). Just when you think you know everything about Cougars, something new comes up for you to learn. Cool.....

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Exactly what Scott said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly what Scott said.
Wow!!! Do you own all these Cougars?

1967 XR7 GT
1967 XR7 a code 4 spd
1967 a code 4 spd
1967 3 spd (my first car!) (yep, still own it!)
1968 XR7 GT-E 427 wellington blue/black leather
1969 XR7 convert, PW, cruise, tilt-away
1969 cpe
1970 cpe
1970 Eliminator, comp. blue, sunroof

1 - 16 of 16 Posts