Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1969 Cougar and two power windows work fine. Dirve Rear works fine from the driver door, but only goes down when using the back window switch. The passenger door used to work occasionally, but it stopped. On the passenger side door I can hear the motor click, but nothing happens. I tried to figure out how to pull the motor, but I cannot see how is it mounted in the door. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Sounds like one of your problems may be dirty, worn contact points. Before you toss them try to bring them back to life by cleaning and maybe adjusting the points. If that fails to work then swap them out with the rear ones that have had minimal use.

<center></center> Be really careful when removing the chrome rocker button assembly, they do not pry out as that will break the housing. Depress the male, round alignment tab gently and they will separate quite easily.

<center></center>

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 69 and took out all of my switches and disassembled them as Don shows in the pictures. I used skinny strips of paper and wedged them between the contacts, pressed them together, and burnished them until the contacts were clean. This cleared up my problem. The switches on the drivers side control were definitely the dirtiest.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Before you re-assemble any of the switches, wire connections or grounds apply some "Stabilant" directly on the point contacts and all connections. This stuff makes all the difference in the world to power window systems.....read about Stabilant and what it dose here....http://www.stabilant.com/ This stuff was recomended by Royce some time ago, and I have been using it all over the place to solve lots of different "electrical contact" problems for several years now and it never seems to fail. It is truly an amazing product, that actually dose what they say it dose. A small container of it will last you a long time as you use very little of it at each connection. Every Cougar owner should have some of this stuff in his tool box. An additional recommendation to over hauling the switches is to apply a little dab of white lithium grease to the white nylon rocker point in the center of the bottom of the rocker part of the switch. You usually find the old grease all dried up when you open the switch up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to get the left rear working, but when I went to show off my sucess it went down and will not go back up........I will try again tomorrow.

The passenger side front still is not working and I have tried everything. I think it might be the motor. I can hear it click but it doesn't move.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
I was able to get the left rear working, but when I went to show off my success it went down and will not go back up........I will try again tomorrow.

The passenger side front still is not working and I have tried everything. I think it might be the motor. I can hear it click but it doesn't move.
Apply power direct to the motor. This will rule out switch and connection problems.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Before you re-assemble any of the switches, wire connections or grounds apply some "Stabilant" directly on the point contacts and all connections. This stuff makes all the difference in the world to power window systems.....read about Stabilant and what it dose here....http://www.stabilant.com/ This stuff was recommended by Royce some time ago, and I have been using it all over the place to solve lots of different "electrical contact" problems for several years now and it never seems to fail. It is truly an amazing product, that actually dose what they say it dose. A small container of it will last you a long time as you use very little of it at each connection. Every Cougar owner should have some of this stuff in his tool box. An additional recommendation to over hauling the switches is to apply a little dab of white lithium grease to the white nylon rocker point in the center of the bottom of the rocker part of the switch. You usually find the old grease all dried up when you open the switch up.
Wow! I cannot remember the last time I saw such a horrid website... But as they say, word of mouth does mean a lot from a trusted source so based on that I will give it a try.

<center>
</center>

·
Registered
298 Posts
Try blasting the switch with WD-40. I was having trouble with my 1969 switches years ago and blasted them with WD-40 and presto, no problems since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the back window up. The switch works fine when the back panel is not connected to the car. Once it is connected it does not work.

It was recommended that I remove the passenger front power window and try to clean it. I have tried everything I can think of but it will not come out. Is it possible to removed the motor with our removing the window and arms?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do NOt try to remove the motor without the arms. You will either hurt yourself or your car. There is a high tension spring that assists the motor that will come unraveled. If you follow the tccn instructions you will be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.