Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the deal. I had to change out the column due to the PO welding on a removable steering wheel (not legal for street use). I reused my existing harness (no cut wires) and installed the aftermarket steering wheel per instructions. Found horns unplugged, plugged them in and still they do not work. Hooked up temp horn button and they work? is their a horn relay some where? I have the electrical diagram and don't see one.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is no relay.

·
Registered
442 Posts
RayH, not to hijack your thread, but I can't get my rim blow wheel to blow, It was professionally reconditioned and the Wheel shows a complete circuit when tested with my OHM. I can jump the horn switch in the column and make it blow but when I install the wheel, the rim blow won't work. Bob, any suggestions? Sal

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sal,

When you say you can "jump the horn switch in the column", you mean jump the two spring loaded contacts that normally contact the rings on the wheel?

Where are you measuring the wheel when you say it is good? At the terminals? If yes, then what about at the rings that the terminals connect to (and the switch contacts ride on)?

Answer these questions and we'll get to the bottom of it. Sorry RayH if this would be considered a hijack, maybe it will help you too?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
980 Posts
On my '70 XR-7, when I went to pick it up from Coyote Classics, the salesman told me that the horn didn't work. It too, was also a rim blow. So when I left the parking lot...I backed up, waved good-bye and honked the horn. The salesman turned to the mechanic that was standing there and he gave him the look of " I thought that you said the horn doesn't work?".. the point is this...I got home and was trying to show my wife about the "rim blow horn" option and it had stopped working. So I sat in the car for a while marveling at things and "remembering when." I had another..and I started to mess with the horn, (trying different areas on the rim blow)... I found three different places that worked just fine. Just wondering if you tried to blow the horn at different places on the wheel. Mine works at just above 3 o'clock on the wheel, 12 o'clock and sometimes between 7-9 o'clock. Here is what I found when I took it apart to investigate the problem. The PO had "glued" the rim blow pad back into the steering wheel and some of the glue had gotten into the rim blow pad, so in my mind that is what was causing my horn issue. I carefully took the steering wheel rim blow pad and with a bit of butchery I able to seperate the two componets, cleand the glue mess up the PO had "gobbed" in there, re-glued it and reimstalled. It has work like a new ever since. Just saying to try other areas on the rim blow before throwin the towel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bob , For some reason I cannot highlight the comments in your thread but yes to all of what you said.

I this case, the only thing that could keep the horn from blowing was the two brass contacts not making contact with the inside wheel. My solution was to break the tip off of a blown fuse and clean the glass from the inside of the end and insert it on the top of the brass tips at the end of the springs. I reinstalled the wheel and the horn works fine. The metal fuse end gave the horn button enough additional height to make contact.

Now, do I need to change the whole harness or can I just change the horn switch? Sal

Cedar, I had that problem when I was a kid with my first XR7, it was a challenge to pass State inspection.

RayH, Pull your steering wheel and jump your horn switch with a small screw driver from one brass button to the other. If it blows, the brass buttons are probably not making contact with the inside of the wheel. If it does not blow check the volts to the switch and the switch. Sal

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My horn worked with an aftermarket (Grant) steering wheel but was inconsistent. I added a relay to the circuit and now it works every time I press the button.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sal,

Sounds like those spring loaded contact tips are worn down too far and do not make good contact any longer. They are part of the TS switch and so if you were to change that it should solve the problem. I have the column from dearly departed "Cleveland Rocks", my '70 HT with an intact switch that was working when I took the car apart if you are interested. But, for what you are doing/have done, you might want to go with a new repro one.

I would also consider trading the switch for a nice used Tremec 3550 :buck:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, pulled steering wheel. Have power to the contact springs (yellow wire= hot) when I push the button I get power to the other contact spring (yellow/blue wire) so sounds like I have a bad wire some where between the steering column and to the horns. Next step is to unplug the steering column harness and jump those wires. If it still does not work I will run a temporary wire to the horns and jump it to the yellow wire on the harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts