Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
If all of the gauges are out, the voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster is a likely culprit, providing you checked all the fuses in the fuse block are good. Use a volt meter and measure voltage on each side of the fuses since some times they open in the end caps where you cant see it. Easiest way to check is to pull the full sender connector in the trunk apart at the connector and measure the voltage on the wire going to the fuel sender on the car side of the harness. If you have around 6 volts (don't remember the exact number) when the ignition key is in the on position, that part is probably OK. If no voltage, then you need to start tracing where the power stops. It could simply be the connector on the cluster has partially dislodged. I am assuming you have an XR-7. If you supply exactly what you have, I'm sure someone here can supply actual wire colors to check out. Make sure you have a good ground on the meter negative when checking for voltages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1969 cougar and none of the gauges work any ideas.
Unless the prior owner was so chill or so negligent they let the gauges fail 1 by one and didn't care, it would seem to be one of the common componenets to kill all 4. Other than the IVR (instriment voltage regulator) already mentioned the only other common culprits I can come up with are bad flex circuit board on the cluster, the connection from the wire harness to the flex circuit board, or a bad ground for the cluster in the underdash wiring harness. I believe there is only one ground for the cluster and the IVR needs to see it. If your dash lights do not work in addition to no gauges start with thinking bad ground. Otherwise I'd check voltage from the IVR as already suggested.
If your flex circuit board is the problem you can buy an 'old school' custom made replacement harness from a guy that does that for Mustang and Cougar dashes. There is a link on the Rocketman/RCCI website near the bottom left. I had to go that route for my '70 XR7 and it works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless the prior owner was so chill or so negligent they let the gauges fail 1 by one and didn't care, it would seem to be one of the common componenets to kill all 4. Other than the IVR (instriment voltage regulator) already mentioned the only other common culprits I can come up with are bad flex circuit board on the cluster, the connection from the wire harness to the flex circuit board, or a bad ground for the cluster in the underdash wiring harness. I believe there is only one ground for the cluster and the IVR needs to see it. If your dash lights do not work in addition to no gauges start with thinking bad ground. Otherwise I'd check voltage from the IVR as already suggested.
If your flex circuit board is the problem you can buy an 'old school' custom made replacement harness from a guy that does that for Mustang and Cougar dashes. There is a link on the Rocketman/RCCI website near the bottom left. I had to go that route for my '70 XR7 and it works great.
Here's the link, minus the pit stop at RCCI Manufactured Products but you may need to keep RCCI in mind for future needs Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations

1 - 4 of 4 Posts