Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Shirley Did you get the interior dilemma sorted out yet?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1969 Eliminator interior

Ray said:
Shirley Did you get the interior dilemma sorted out yet?
NO, I ordered a deluxe report from marti but it has not arrived. I do not use credit cards, so I sent him a money order. I did go on a title search ( quest ). I got back to 1991 and then the title department sent me to another county. The next county only had one owner registered and I need to go to Columbus next. I think the Title search is going to be my best chance. I sent Marti an email asking about getting a reproduction window sticker and they told me that they get all of there information off of the invoice.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Shirley You can get a copy of the original window sticker from Lois Emiger.I can not give you the details of how to get it but she has all records from the era.Some one will post how to get in touch with her or Marti auto can inform you of how as well.Hers is about $40 I believe and you will need to send her a copy of your registration as proof of ownership.I also don't use credit cars.If I can't pay cash for it I just don't need it.Cards can cause a lot of trouble.Keep us updated on the interior .Catz ya

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Eminger Report

FROM THE CCOA:

Invoice: The invoice was used to document the transfer of the vehicle from the factory to the dealership. It specifies all important features of a car, and resembles a window sticker, because it lists the VIN, dealership, and all options that a particular car had. This makes them highly sought-after by restorers trying to document the past history of their cars. Invoices are generally never seen by the customer, and are not normally a part of the documentation on a car. But luckily for Cougar owners (as well as others) a former Ford Employee, Lois Eminger, preserved boxloads of these invoices from going to the incinerator, She and another individual, Roger Hayman, sell these invoices to verified owners of these cars. Unfortunately, there are no invoices available for pre-1969 Cougars.

1969 - 1970 Mustang & Cougar (Dearborn assembly, only) contact:
Lois Eminger
PO BOX 220
Dearborn, MI 48121-0200

1971-1973 Mustang & Cougar (Dearborn assembly, only) contact:
Roger Hayman
25 Brookline Lane
Dearborn, MI 48120-1037

You will need to provide them with proof of ownership (Dataplate rubbing, title copy, etc) and their fee ($35.00). In a few weeks, either you get your stuff back or you'll receive the original invoice page, shipped flat in a (clear) protective sleeve.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Eminger Report

I got the invoice for my Eliminator about five years ago. My problem is we just started to take the car apart, Everything looks original. seats are dry rotted and cracked front and back,back seat arm rests are in the same condition,carpet is no good, door panels are also dry rotted and cracked, trunk interior also dry rotted and badly torn. All the wiring has the cotton tape. The problem with this is the entire interior is ALL XR7 interior and my car even has chrome trim around the wheel wells. Why would someone change the interior on a new Eliminator to XR7 interior, and go through the trouble of changing the outside of the car as well. The Eliminator decor group on the invoice is crossed out. This makes me wonder if someone special ordered my car with XR7 interior and trim. Some people say that this is impossible, but it has happened more than once before on other cars. I am trying to fined the original owner. I want to know for shore what came originally in my car.

Shirley Goodpaster
1969 Eliminator

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shirley,

Are the seats in your Eliminator high back buckets or low back with headrests?Eliminators were the only '69 Cougar that came with high back buckets. Are your seats leather? As far as the wheel well moldings go, many people put them on Eliminators to dress them up a little. Mine had them on when I bought it.

Barry

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 69 eliminator also has the wheel well molding. I thought these were original??? Maybe not huh???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scott,

Eliminators did not come with the wheel lip moldings. I took mine off two days after I bought the the car and sold them.

Barry

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Wheel well trim was not factory on Eliminators that much we know.I have seen many "X"s on the window sticker.Don't know what it means however I believe Shirleys Eliminator has a door data code of EA which was only available on Eliminators and is an Eliminator only code.I sourced my info from TCCN and Kevin Martis By the #s book as well as the ten plus years experience in Cougarland.In my opinion if the car was to have had a XR7 interior the code would suggest that but "EA" is white hibacks with blk trim components.Course this is all off the top of my head.I have a Marti report and it designates codes and other stuff but the Emiger report and the Marti report and the data plate I think will all say EA.Course I'm waiting as well to see whats up.One more clue will be the DSO to see if car was kept by Ford for some reason.Shirley can you supply us the DSO ?THX Ray /Pacificatz

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Looking at the picture of her car reminds me to ask a question as to what makes the back of the hood rise up like that. Mine dose the same only not that bad. I dont think mine will adjust down any more. Are the hinges shot?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
The way to bring back of hood down providing hinges are not bent or worn out is to first lubricate the pivot points and there are about 6 on each hinge.Now loosen the six bolts holdin the hinges to apron by a thread or so and lift hood up and back and then set tight the bolts.This is the lowest the back will go.If your bolts are not tight or the nutz are loose in apron your hood will ride up.Then set the foreward distance same way by loosening four hood to hinge bolts a turn and lower hood.Push or pull as nesessary and then lift hood part way up tighten and your done.Hope this helps if not I have hinges but be sure that the hinges are straight up when looking from frt if the pivot/scissor leans in then your hinge is bent and may not prove worthy.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1969 Eliminator XR7 interior

The following are just two of the MANY responses I got to my interior mystery:

I used to work at the St. Louis Assembly Plant from 94'-98' and I can
confirm that cars were built occasionally that did not match the vin
tag...... Only two come to mind, one was a 1996 Explorer XLT with the
Limited Edition Interior package and gauges and the other had a V-8
when a
V-6 was supposed to be installed. Ford executives do this to buy the
car on
the A-Plan at a cheaper price. i.e. the XLT list price at the time was
$26,000 and when you upgrade to the Limited the sticker would be
somewhere
around $42,000. Don't know if they did this back in the 60's and 70's
but
why not? Just a little input.
Jeff

Good point Jeff. Cars were manufactured that didn't
match the build sheets. My father-in-law worked on
the San Jose assembly line in late '67, building '68
Stangs and Cougs on the same line, and has told me
that the line didn't stop very often. If the correct
color or optional item wasn't available, a substitute
that fit was used. Simple as that.
Dan

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
That may be but with a data code of EA I can't see them substituting a whole interior.Are the dash appliques woodgrained in burled walnut (XR7)or in Rosewood?/teak?I forget which the Cougar std is.The Eliminators were camera case or/and black.Another way to figure the mystery is the DSO Again I ask is it anything other than a two digit code?If its a five or so digit code then now we have a special order car.Shirley why not post your data plate info for us to decode and well get to the bottom of this.THX Ray/Pacificatz

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1969 Eliminator XR7 interior

My cars DSO code or District code is 32 - Cincinnati
I also have many books on 69 Cougar Eliminators. None of this tells me if someone had this car special ordered. You are not suppose to be allowed to order police packages in cars either but my parents have had four cars they ordered with a police package in them. As for my seats they are white 1969 XR7 vinyl seats, with the head rest.

Shirley Goodpaster
1969 Eliminator

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1969 Eliminator

I have already decoded my data plate info.

Body Style Code - 65A ( 2 door hardtop - bucket seat )
Color Code - M ( White )
Trim Code - EA ( White Corinthian & White Levant Pattern Vinyl with Black )
Date Code - 24F ( 24th of June )
DSO - 32 ( Cincinnati )
rear Axle - 9 ( 3.25:1 )
Transmission Code - X ( Automatic FMX )

You can look at my dash from the link below
http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/

This still doesn't tell me if someone put the XR7 interior in at the plant. If they ran out of Eliminator interior and substituted the XR7 or an Executive wanted the XR7 and had it put in at the plant. The only way to know for sure is to fined the original owner.

Shirley Goodpaster
1969 Eliminator

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1969 Eliminator

My Dash is Burled Walnut. With the Cougar name plate on the dash the script same as the XR7 without XR7 at the end of it. I
have a TOTAL 1969 XR7 interior. And I don't think my grill is blacked out the correct way. Only the spaces in-between my
grill are blacked out. Should the entire grill be blacked out?

Shirley Goodpaster
1969 Eliminator

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shirley,

Does your car have the blockout plate in the middle of the dash or does it have the switches like XR-7 or lights like the standards? Does your dealer invoice have the Eliminator Equipment Pkg. and the Eliminator Decore Group on it?This whole thing is pretty intriuging.

Barry

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
428elim said:
Shirley,

Does your car have the blockout plate in the middle of the dash or does it have the switches like XR-7 or lights like the standards? Does your dealer invoice have the Eliminator Equipment Pkg. and the Eliminator Decore Group on it?This whole thing is pretty intriuging.

Barry
My dash has the switches. You can go to my pictures from the link below. My invoice has the Eliminator Equipment pakg, and
the Eliminator Decore Group on it, but the Eliminator Decore Group has an X through it. I have posted pictures of my invoice
also. My grill only the indented ribs are blacked out the raised ribs are chrome.
http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts