Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought a 1969 Eliminator Clone. The car has an XR7 interior and both the front and rear seats are trashed. I all ready purchased the the correct door panels and a console. My question is around the seats. Are the 1969/70 Mustang fronts the same seats used in the eliminator? I am also kicking around installing after market Scat seats. Anyone have picks of after market seats in a 1969 Cougar?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The Mustang Hi-back seats can be used in the Cougar, but there is a difference in the seat latch location, the 69 are half way up the seat side, while the 70 are down low near the bottom.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
It is possible to install the 1968-69 seat latches onto 1970 seat backs.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It is possible to install the 1968-69 seat latches onto 1970 seat backs.
Possible? Well, anything is possible with enough time, money and effort. Practical? Probably not, although I've never investigated to determine what exactly would be involved. For a clone though, I personally wouldn't bother. Outside of a Cougar show, not one person in 1,000 is going to know, or care, about seat latch placement.
Although actual '69 Eliminator seats are pretty scarce, '69 Mustang highbacks, such as used in Mach 1s, are the same seat with different upholstery. There were over 72,000 '69 Mach 1s produced, so those are much easier seats to find. If you really want a correct appearance, I'd suggest looking for a pair of those to recover.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, guys I did find a set of 70 mach 1 seats on e-bay. They are in good condition but missing the back panel. Is the back panel the same as the 1969/70 cougar seats? Also checked on the Eliminator seat covers and darn are they expensive. One last question since my car has the XR7 interior will the Eliminator rear seat cover work with the existing seat foam?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The seat backs will interchange , I have not had the two seat buns side by side to see the difference, but I think they will work on the back seats.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Ok, guys I did find a set of 70 mach 1 seats on e-bay. They are in good condition but missing the back panel. Is the back panel the same as the 1969/70 cougar seats? Also checked on the Eliminator seat covers and darn are they expensive. One last question since my car has the XR7 interior will the Eliminator rear seat cover work with the existing seat foam?
Keep in mind that '70 Mach 1 seats will have the low seat back release, just like '70 Cougar seats, in case that matters to you. As long as you're shopping ebay, item # 230751000454 is a pair of actual '69 Eliminator seats, although the seller has mis-identified them as Mach 1 seats.
Seat backs are interchangeable, although XR-7 seatbacks incorporate map pockets, (which are a nice upgrade, even if not a standard Eliminator feature.)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Possible? Well, anything is possible with enough time, money and effort. Practical? Probably not, although I've never investigated to determine what exactly would be involved. For a clone though, I personally wouldn't bother. Outside of a Cougar show, not one person in 1,000 is going to know, or care, about seat latch placement.
Although actual '69 Eliminator seats are pretty scarce, '69 Mustang highbacks, such as used in Mach 1s, are the same seat with different upholstery. There were over 72,000 '69 Mach 1s produced, so those are much easier seats to find. If you really want a correct appearance, I'd suggest looking for a pair of those to recover.
I'm guessing (but have not actually checked) that the mounting locations for the 69 elim seat releases are present on the 70 high backs. If I am right (and expanding on what not-Lin has said), you can take 69 seat back releases and put them on 70 seat backs. Not-Lin, do I have that right?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thanks for the info. I did see those seats listed on e-bay but payed way less for the ones I got and the seat foam, burlap and springs are good. I am not trying to make a spot on clone, just trying to get close. Speaking of diffrences, the console I purchased from a member came out of a 1969 but has no lighter in it. Also incase you did not know the mustang console rear ash tray is not the same shape but will screw in place.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I believe that the "high" location is still on the 70 seat back frames. If not, just steal (chisel) them off of your 69 seat backs and weld them in place on the 70's. Not a major deal at all!!!

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts