Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did 1969 Cougars have a power antenna option? If it did where was it mounted and where was the switch on the dash? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I think they did Ed and the antenna mounted on one of the rear quarters, PS I'd imagine. Rare option (and the PS front fender had the regular antenna hole deleted). Not sure where the switch went but if I had to guess I'd say it went above the radio in the top of the lower dash like the rear window defrost and convertible top switches did in '69.

I don't think they had the "goes up with radio on, down with radio off" technology yet.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I think the antenna was a dealer accessory versus a factory option. I'll check my literature tonight unless someone else verifies it first.
I was wondering that too Jeff, but how would one explain the regular antenna hole delete (which I have heard cars equipped this way had)? They didn't make the (regular) antenna hole(s) at the dealer, did they? Maybe they did, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Radio delete cars for starters...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car has a OE replacement RH fender. It apparently had a correct antenna on it at one point but the holes are not located properly. It had a typical replacement antenna on it covering the holes. I figure if we have to weld up those holes maybe we should consider a power unit. I expect to have a modern radio in the car with turn on/off antenna actuation, so I don't need to worry about finding a correct switch if I go power antenna. If I do go that route, I would like the antenna to be in the correct location and at the correct angle.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Antennas were installed at the dealership, the same as a front spoiler on an Eliminator. They were shipped as loose items in order to prevent damage in shipping. Wheel covers are another example of a loose item that was not installed at the factory. These would be installed during the pre-delivery prep.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Antennas were installed at the dealership, the same as a front spoiler on an Eliminator. They were shipped as loose items in order to prevent damage in shipping. Wheel covers are another example of a loose item that was not installed at the factory. These would be installed during the pre-delivery prep.
The holes for the antenna were also drilled at the dealership rather than the factory, right Dave? Didn't the factory supply a template for the dealership to use for the hole?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If you look back at many of the old posts it seems as though the dealers more or less winged the antenna locations - I haven't really seen to many consistent placements in cars that didn't appear to have been tampered with in the later years anyway?......would be interesting to know though, radio stations were going through a few changes back then with FM being relativly new and everybody wanting an FM capable one, they may have free-lanced it a bit to get them out the door? hard saying

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 70 vert had a power antenna mounted on the driver's side quarter panel by the selling dealer when I bought it. The switch is mounted on the underside of the dash just to the right of the steering column (toggle switch sticking down). I expect there were other types of switches and locations, depending on the selling dealer installation. I recall the other couple of 69 / 70 Cougars I have seen with the rear antennas mounted, have all been in the same place on the driver's side quarter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a picture of your car with the location of the antenna clearly visible?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm having a problem uploading the pictures. If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you one or two pictures that show the location well. John

·
Registered
627 Posts
My 69 has a power antenna as well located on the rear driver side. I asked about it when I first got the car (5yrs ago now) and was told that the car was bought like that. The normal location on the front ps was welded over and the job was not too good as it's very obvious thru the paint. I'm the 3rd owner and the previous owner replaced the original antenna with a power one from a parts store that powers on with the radio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 69 has a power antenna as well located on the rear driver side. I asked about it when I first got the car (5yrs ago now) and was told that the car was bought like that. The normal location on the front ps was welded over and the job was not too good as it's very obvious thru the paint. I'm the 3rd owner and the previous owner replaced the original antenna with a power one from a parts store that powers on with the radio.
I have a 1969 XR7....It has the antenna mounted on the right fender. I have seen a power unit online. From what I can see from the installation PDF....it requires a clearance of 8.75 inches below the fender surface and a hole diameter of 1.34"
Antenna would be installed from below the fender obviously. Do you guys think that there is that kind of clearance? Power would be supplied from the ignition switch on terminal on the fuse block. Interested in opinions. Thanks!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts