Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don from WCCC sent me here. Apparently the 1969 convertible motor mounts and stands are different than the coupe, and if you buy the coupe ones they don't work. Don recommended the 68 stands and respective motor mounts. These work, but it has LOWERED my engine by (maybe) an inch. My fan was hitting my shroud so I hacked away the bottom of the shroud. I am ALSO fighting some overheating, so I want to make sure my motor lines up where it should and the shroud is 100% as I debug the overheating. Im in FL and the overheating is typically only on really hot days with excessive idling (waiting in line at taco bell lol). I figure let's get a new shroud lined up and go from there.

I'd love to put the original stands back with the CORRECT motor mount, but Don said that new mounts are not made (for convertible). Auto parts stores say they are but you know how that goes.

What is my next step here? I searched the tech forum first. Many thanks, this has stopped me in my tracks... pics of what I bought from WCCC

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 69/70 Convertible mounts are different despite ALL the computerized catalogs at NAPA, O'Rielly's, Rock Auto, etc which are wrong just as you have described. I've had the same issue as you. Engine 1" off with coupe stands and mounts. I've been working with Damper Doctor in California to get my originals revulcanized since last Fall, but it's not been going well. Maybe if he knows there more crazy guys like me are around he will put some priority on it. 530.604.5384, ask for John. Better yet - maybe you should put Don Rush in touch with Damper Doctor?

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is very odd. When we were building Ken Houck's '68 Cougar road race car, we compared the height between my '67 (factory coupe-same as convertible mounts and insulators) and his '68 (factory coupe mounts and insulators), the height from the floor to the top of the insulators measured the same. I would have love to lowered my engine by an inch but it didn't work.
Ford only changed the mounting angle - in order to eliminate harmonic vibrations inherent to the convertible.

Why your engine was lowered by an inch is not obvious.

There are adjustable mounts available from Ron Morris or TCP.
Another option is to have the originals rebuilt.
http://fatfenderedtrucks.com/motor_mount_rebuild.html
Motor mount service

·
Registered
19 Posts
The angle of the 2 steel pieces bonded to the rubber is different, the height is the same for the mount. For 69/70 convertible the metal perch itself, that mounts to the cross member, is also different subtly. They need to be a matched set. For whatever reason, probably harmonics as you've noted, they moved the engine height by an inch for the convertible. I've read it was for moving the center of gravity due to no hardtop, but they went up not down, so that center of gravity reason makes no sense.

PS how did you get a '67 Cougar convertible? To the best of my knowledge no such car was available from FoMoCo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
PS how did you get a '67 Cougar convertible? To the best of my knowledge no such car was available from FoMoCo.
Sorry for the confusion, I don't have a '67 Cougar convertible.(I edited the original post)
In '67, the insulator/mount was the same for a convertible Mustang or Cougar/Mustang coupe. This same insulator/mount combo was used for Mustang/Cougar '69-70 convertibles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts