Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car turned out great! Thank you so much for posting it Bill, I owe you! NOS treasures in the trunk, original this and that, rare documents, cool trivia, more later when we edit the video... What really stoked me about this car was the fact it was a one owner car. I love the human element attached to these hunks of metal. Of the dozen or so 69 CJ's I have owned, never have I been able to buy one from the actual "original owner". Rich bought this car brand new in 69 when he worked as a Lincoln-Mercury parts counter guy in IL. He special ordered it after much thought and deliberation. Being the owner of a pretty hot 64 Chevelle, he knew the value of a limited slip rear in a Muscle Car when most unkowing customers and sales people passed over this $42.80 option. Also, as a counterman, he was noticing the tilt, tilt-away column problems that were occurring in so equipped Cougars (and other models) so he purposely shied away from that particular option. He did try to order a power seat but was later disappointed to find he was misinformed on availability. The co-worker that took his order told him he was nuts, he could buy a Lincoln for the same money but he would not be persuaded, it had to be this car, with these options and his wife wanted these colors. He told me the wait was excruciating even though it was less than a month from the time he ordered it until the day he got to drive it home. The week he got it was nothing but rain and he promised himself the car would not be driven in anything but fair weather. This gave Rich time to pull it in the garage and start peeling off the smog, snorkel, heat-shield and S-tube. All take-offs were carefully wrapped in an Il newspaper dated 3-8-69 and placed in a box. Next the wheels and tires were removed in favor of a coveted set of Spider Motor Wheels and again, the wheel covers were wrapped in newspaper, never to see the light of day again until the car changed hands one day. This car was no ordinary purchase, it was a BIG DEAL for the California bound young couple and their 6 year old son. Everything was deliberate... Every receipt and document would be kept. Check out these scans:

Car order form
Invoice
Transaction reporting return
Window Sticker
Ownercard
8 track tape deck manual
Auto loan bank agreement
Registration cards going back to the 70's

Even the little card hung from the radio knob instructing the new owner on how to best care for the leather seating was safely tucked away. As the years rolled on, cars came and went but the garage space was always reserved for the Cougar and the miles were intentionally kept low. The turn of the millennium brought new challenges for Rich and his wife, they both started to have health issues and at one point the old Cougar had some health issues at about the same time so for the first time she was placed in the driveway with a car cover. A couple of times Rich thought he should let the old car go but his Son (Steve) said no Dad! You always said the car would be mine someday! 2005 saw the passing of his beloved wife... No longer did Rich care enough to drive the car every few months to keep it lubricated. The yard, the house and in general Rich's life fell into disrepair. Steve could no longer sit on the sidelines and watch this decline. Time to list the Cougar on the Internet and the 66 Fairlane family wagon, the coveted 1957 customized Ranchero, the 50th anniversary Snap-On Tool set too would have to go. Time to get dad a comfortable, safe modern car and get Dad involved in something, anything to get him going again! When the trailer finally was packed and all the spare "pick-n-pull" just in case parts were loaded and the documents were signed it was in the end too difficult to stand in the driveway and watch here drive down the road. A choked up Father and Son had to excuse themselves. On the trip home found I found myself reflecting on the days events. The excitement retold by father and Son of the day dad brought home "The Coolest ride in town", how son got to take his first ride in a convertible and later as a 16 year old learn how to drive on the Cougar. I intentionally brought my 6 and 9 year old along to get this car. What memories will they have of the trip and in time of this car? Alek my 9 year old video taped the event and Joel, my six year old was the winch operator. We were only blocks from the beach so the next five hours were spent building sand castles and playing in the surf. What will be the story my kids tell in 40 years about the trip, the car and the memories? Only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
All good. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you for sharing a great story that all of us would love to tell! Keep that cat purring.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
(Grumble, grumble) As I previously said, I'M JEALOUS!!!:whore:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This is my favorite piece so far..... this little tag with leather care instructions. From a design standpoint, I really dig the 1969 graphics and lettering. But how many people kept these tags tucked away, perfectly preserved?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I would have been one of those people, I am the sort of guy that keeps boxes in the attic for things I've bought, not sure why exactly. If I ever sell something, people will like the item more since it is in the original box or something? :bloated:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
This is my favorite piece so far..... this little tag with leather care instructions. From a design standpoint, I really dig the 1969 graphics and lettering. But how many people kept these tags tucked away, perfectly preserved?

I've got one of those with my '67. I thought it's pretty cool too!

Congrats and I hate you, Don!

;)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Did a bunch of document scanning today, check out Don's edited post at the top to see some of the original documents.

Here are the original keys with the code tags still there. I haven't seen a key like this one before, what's the deal? Looks to be the same age as the trunk key..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I was spending some time with my son today as we were packing up his stuff to come home from Collage for the summer. Part of the discussion in the car was, my dream cougar, a 69 or 70 XR7 CJ vert. Even just a windsor or Cleveland would be nice. Congrats Don, Im looking forward to the video!
This is indeed the stuff your boy's will talk about for the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Cool stuff, guys. I have one of those leather care tags. It came with my 67 xr7 A code 4 speed car along with a bunch of other cool stuff including the original order form and the salesman's business card with the running cat logo embossed.

Very nice score, Don. I am with all the other folks and hope that you can afford to keep and drive this one for many years.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was spending some time with my son today as we were packing up his stuff to come home from Collage for the summer. Part of the discussion in the car was, my dream cougar, a 69 or 70 XR7 CJ vert. Even just a Windsor or Cleveland would be nice. Congrats Don, I'm looking forward to the video!
This is indeed the stuff your boy's will talk about for the rest of their lives.
Thanks! I knew dragging home yet another roachy looking Cougar on a trailer would not get them excited so I purposed to make it a memorable trip. We spent the AM loading the car and at lunch we went down to the beach just a few miles from his house and spent the day making sand castles and playing in the surf, cool stuff since these Oregon boys have not see 80 degrees (much less 70) since September! The next morning we were first in line at Knott's Berry Farm. We hit every extreme ride we could until they closed the park on us. Good times for sure and you can bet their older brothers were quite envious as nobody from our family has done the beach in CA or Knotts.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Jeff, how if any does your tag differ? This one has a C8WB-6560010-B part number on the back. I want to reproduce this one and if yours differs at all from this I would like to reproduce it as well.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Don,

Here is the one that I have from a January 1970, XR7. It does not have a part number on it.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Now I am upset that I didn't stay in Reno another day or so. I would have enjoyed helping unload that bad boy. Maybe you should find another person to finish that Black one that has been sitting in the same place for about 6 years now.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Fun stuff Don. Enjoy the ride. Something very special about a pimped out Cougar vert with a silly-big motor in it. Just so over the top.

Mine's been a blast over the 25+ years of ownership (so far).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts