Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that I have completed my Eliminator Clone interior update I need to move on to fixing the A/C. Since I need to pull the dash pad to install my new tach, replace the headlight and windshield washer switch what do you folks suggest, after market or NOS stuff. The car did have factory A/C but it is all junk. Cost is not a concern, just want to do this once.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What specifically are you asking about Ray? The headlight switch is available new as long as you are comfortable transferring the mounting cone, Mercury Monarch or something like that is the app, someone else can confirm. On the wiper switch, good used would do fine I would think. I have many if you need one. On AC, what's junk? I have some of those parts spare as well, if you tell me what you need I might be able to help.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, the whole AC system is junk due to the hoses being cut, the compressor and bracket is missing. The dryer tubing was cut and the car has a 302 verses the factory 351. The 302 has been rebuilt and runs strong so not going to change it out. I wan't a system that is a little more up to date so I am thinking of Vintage Air, they have electronic controls and supply all the brackets etc. Oh as for the head light swich I purchased a new one and will order a new wiper switch (the current one works but it causes the wipers to stick and not park correct)

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I installed a Classic Auto Air system in my 69 Mustang a couple of months ago. It included all parts to do the job. Instructions were a little quirky, but was pretty straight forward. I am satisfied with their product.

·
Registered
913 Posts
+ 2 on the Classic Auto Air, good people, and I think one of their people is on one of these forums.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
classic does a better job of design and fabrication AND CUSTOMER SERVICE !!! with vintage air ,all the hoses come out aimed @ the back of the gauge
cluster while the classic is aimed where it needs to go---our 67 had a open system also----i took apart the heater box aand along with a new heater core , had by a/c evap flushed and pres checked-----bought a real sanden compressor(be carefull here , the chineese ones say 508 on them) made up all new line using 134 type hose--installed a new condensor and rec drier and expansion valve---wire the clutch thru a normal relay to reduce the under dash voltage loss---thi with about $600.00 worth of dynamat and julianos closed cell foam , you'll be very pleased

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I have the Classic Auto Air system as well, hooked up to factory vents. It works really well. Their customer service is very responsive too.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
If you already have factory AC stick to original under the dash and go modern under the hood. If you were converting a Non AC car I would say buy their complete plug and play system.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Classic auto air here too. Have not installed it yet and our car did not have air from the factory, but the kit and instructions look really good. Good customer service too.

Brian

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I don't understand Don's thinking. I have no brackets, no hoses, bad evaporator, condenser and drier missing. If you add the replacement cost for underhood stuff 500 (compresor, brackets hoses and drier), evaporator 220, condenser 230, blower motor 60 and heater core 30 I am within a couple of hunded dollars of the after market system???

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the factory stuff under the dash will perform better than aftermarket because it has the ability to"'blend" outside air with the cold air from the condensor---this is my major gripe with aftermarket a/c-----they keep adding more and more moisture to the air flow and will probably ice up after a long period---you should be able to get the brackets/pulleys from the wrecking yard and many people sell a bracket that puts a sanden compressor on the ford bracket---the only reason for not using the factory stuff under the dash is if your heater box is all cracked and broken

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 70 had factory ac that had not worked for over 20 years according to the previous owner. I was only going to replace the under hood parts, but the connectors would not come loose where the ac hoses go into the heater/ac box through the firewall. I had to also replace the components inside the factory heater/ac box. I got all parts from Classic Auto Air. They were super helpful and the new system cools great. One of the guys there also owns a 70 cougar. My only issue was when my wife experienced a waterfall under the dash on a long trip. It was a 95+ day driving from South Carolina to Kentucky. Turned out that the factory drain hose was stopped up. I never knew that a car ac could produce that much water! The return trip was nice and dry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am Ron with Classic Auto Air. We appreciate all positive remarks about our products and services.

If the unit inside the dash is a basket case You may be better served by going with a complete aftermarket kit like our Perfect Fit series kit.

If you like give me a call 813-251-2356 x 7022 and I will be happy to go into detail about getting cold air back in your Cougar.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All, just spoke with Ron. Super nice guy and knows his stuff. He is sending me the info I need to get cold air back in my cougar.and I will purchase my AC stuff from him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts