Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help and would appreciate someone's assistance with either a '69 or '70 model.

Jenny and I are going to make a trunk mat out of matching black loop carpeting. I've never been fond of the plaid mats and I thought a carpeted trunk would look better. We've bought a few yards of the material ... but I am missing a template to cut it out from.

If you have an existing trunk mat? Could we please twist your arm for a tracing of the dimensions?? We're going to have this bound on the edges and I'd be more than happy to share our results with the group when we're done. I just need a pattern to start this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a suggestion, I took brown paper, like the kind you tape up cars with, and laid this in my trunk and cut out around the wheel housing and cut out for the gas filler and so on, after everything fit I taped it all together and removed it and laid it on the carpet, cut it a little large and trim as needed. Worked for me. I also carpeted the wheel tubs, both sides of the pinch weld.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Here's another thought (but it doesn't involve using the carpet you already have), call ACC and ask them to make it for you, they make the carpets and they make trunk mats too. They just would need to apply the trunk mat pattern to a piece of carpet.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just thought but if acc cuts it to the pattern will be too big because the mat goes into the creases around the gas tank...I vote for the paper method, or a bunch of paper bags if you have to be cheap...make sure to post picture of finished product, maybe you could sell some after!!!!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm picking up a car that has one all one piece I think you can have it for price of shipping . If it isn"t same deal for the one in my 69 its in great shape to copy just ugly to look at .

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone ... I like the idea of using the paper template approach. Know that I think of it, I can probably get closer tolerances than even the original mat would allow.

Jenny and I appreciate everyone's help and thoughts.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yep - if you want a real tight clean finnish I think you are better off going that route for sure.....the factory mats were not great fitting anyways.....when you go to put it in you will want to use a heat gun to form it - so be sure to use carpet that is for automotive use as it will lend to shaping much better....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts