Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If only it was that easy Joe! Guess it can't hurt to ask, but don't hold your breath! Welcome to the forum BTW.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Those two years are different, a 1970 4 speed with correct Hurst shifter and linkage with lock out rod is $$$, 1969's aren't cheap either, but slightly less, maybe $$1/2. LOL

They also came wide and close ratio.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Those two years are different, a 1970 4 speed with correct Hurst shifter and linkage with lock out rod is $$$, 1969's aren't cheap either, but slightly less, maybe $$1/2. LOL

They also came wide and close ratio.
There are also variances in the input/output shafts.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
There are also variances in the input/output shafts.
Yes, the tail shafts are different between those two years. The reason being for the Hurst shifter mounting plate.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, the tail shafts are different between those two years. The reason being for the Hurst shifter mounting plate.
Really? Pardon me, I but I doubt this. Any Hurst, including factory has an adapter plate to mount to the tailshaft. I think 69/70 tails are the same.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Really? Pardon me, I but I doubt this. Any Hurst, including factory has an adapter plate to mount to the tailshaft. I think 69/70 tails are the same.
Looking.................

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Ford top loader transmissions:

Big block tailshafts are different 1969-70 on a Cougar or Mustang. Really.
Small block tailshafts are the same.

Bob, as I recall the original question did not specify engine. No brownie points for you. LOL

·
Registered
524 Posts
No, I dont think that is what they are saying as much as you have to be leary of mixing and matching parts. I thinks if you had all the parts out of one year it wil bolt into the other. But to mix and match will be more difficult

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ford top loader transmissions:

Big block tailshafts are different 1969-70 on a Cougar or Mustang. Really.
Small block tailshafts are the same.

Bob, as I recall the original question did not specify engine. No brownie points for you. LOL
There you go, makes sense as I was talking from a small block point of view (all I have ever known). Good info and glad to know this, excellent "carcheology", LOL.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Okay,

When I built out my 69 vert, I changed from FMX to 4-spd. From memory, here is what I changed out.

Flex Plate with Flywheel
Pilot Bearing
Tranny and bell housing
Tranny mount
Shifter (duh)
Replaced the 69 power brake/clutch braket/pedals with a 70 power brake/clutch braket/pedals setup (had a spare one).
Clutch linkage (rods, Z-bar, mounts, springs, etc)
Drilled hole in firewall for clutch rod and installed new boot (dimple in the correct spot).
Swapped out brake booster (better shape)
Swapped out drive shafts (had both).
Swapped out speedo cables (std is longer)
Consoles

Everything bolted up nicely. No noticable extra vibration in engine from flex plate/flywheel change.
I had 2 convertibles to use. XR7 I was building (auto) and a Std (4-spd) rust bucket. All parts I needed were there for me to use.

One thing I found out last week.....the 69 and 70 brake pedals are different. The spacing of the brake rod pin is off by 1/2".
69 booster will not work with 70 pedal. Mine went bad and I had to order a 70 booster.

BTW, the 69 manual brake pedal is completely different - off by 3" from the power pedals. Yep, my 69 rust bucket is manual brakes - can't swap pedals.

You live and learn.

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a complete car, or have the pieces, whatever you prefer, if you are converting a 351W or 351C. Definitely not cheap. If not worried about originality, should consider 5 speed conversion as well. Have several 1970 toploaders, a RUG -AW and RUG-AV1. Anyway if you want more info, email me at [email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts