Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not about a Cougar but there is so much Ford knowledge here I have to ask.

I was contacted by an individual who may want to sell a 69 Torino GT with (he claims) a 428 SCJ. He sent the first 5 numbers/letters and the engine code is a Q. The few pictures I got shows an oil cooler. I told him how to get a Marti so I'm waiting. The hood does not have a scoop on it.

But would a SCJ have a Q engine code?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Possibly. The tell tale sign is the axle code. V or W on that 1969 428 Cobra Jet, makes it a drag pak or Super Cobra Jet.

MoparDon has a 1969 Q code XR7 convertible with 4 speed and drag pak.

·
11,000 Posts
You really need the Marti report to be sure. The Q code in a Torino simply means the car was originally equipped with a non - ram air 428CJ. It could have been a drag pack car if it originally came with a 3.91 or 4.30 ratio rear axle with Traction Lock differential. Ram Air (or not) is not a factor in whether the car came with the drag pack (aka SCJ) or not.

I know this is not about a Cougar but there is so much Ford knowledge here I have to ask.

I was contacted by an individual who may want to sell a 69 Torino GT with (he claims) a 428 SCJ. He sent the first 5 numbers/letters and the engine code is a Q. The few pictures I got shows an oil cooler. I told him how to get a Marti so I'm waiting. The hood does not have a scoop on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts

428 were Q code on many of the other fords, but was SCJ different?
I just got back from the start of Hot August Nights in Reno.
Met a owner of a beautiful 66 Fairlane GTA, 390-4V (4barrel).
We discussed how someone bought a complete Fairlane and stripped it for mustang parts.
A friend owned a 68 Torino/Fairlane Fastback with the 390-4V.
I really liked that car but my sister's 68 cougar XR7 became available so I purchased it and became a cougar guy and still own it.
I think we do not need more classic mustangs, but more cougars, fairlanes, torinos, and all.
I inherited a 1970 Ranchero with hood scoop. The front end was replaced years ago and the used hood has a original scoop.
The scoop means nothing, as it has a 302ci.
Jim

·
11,000 Posts
Yes Jim. Read the answers above carefully. They apply to cars with the 428CJ, not full sized Fords or Mercurys like the Galaxie or the Montclair. Those big Fords and Mercurys use letters and numbers in their engine codes that have different meanings, so please don't imagine that there is any similarity or correlation. Only the intermediate Fairlane / Comet and Mustang / Cougar had the 428CJ. Big cars did not.

428 were Q code on many of the other fords, but was SCJ different?
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts