Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 has a crate motor in it which uses a 75 block & heads. I have picked up a 69 factory 4 barrell that I want to rebuild and use instead. However I noticed the water pump inlet is on the opposite side of the motor. Will I have a problem using the harmonic balancer, water pump, acc. brackets, etc.. from the current motor on the 69 motor? Or should I just keep looking for a 1970 351W instead? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
If you want to do a '70 then you'll need '70 parts. As you well know nothing from the '69 interchanges to '70 on windsors.

Keep the '75 and up front end including the timing cover and you'll be fine. Note that the pulleys vary in size and how far they stick out of the motor over all the windsor years so you'll need to keep your matching set.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The 70 Windsors did use different water pumps cause the radiator outlet swapped sides. The brackets changed too. The problem being finding 70 Windsor brackets for the block. As I recall , the power steering to block/head bracket is unique, and possibly the alt too. I would use whatever radiator I have and go from there. 69 same side in/out. 70 opposite in/out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback! I have all the parts for both year motors, I guess my biggest concern was that the balancer might be counter balanced differently and that was why ford/mercury changed the bolt pattern.
So bottom line I will keep the 69 motor to rebuild...of course I need to finish the 68 cat first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts