Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this 1968 XR7 on eBay?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Looks Pretty Nice ! California black plates too !

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is a good looking Cougar. I think it's been listed before but I don't see it in the completed listing section on eBay.
Steven

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I emailed the seller and he said any bid over $16,000 takes it. A good deal, but I've made my mind up to do my C code, which will end up costing at least twice as much, but I'll have what I want. I never sell anything, anyways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased this car today, after the seller agreed to remove the 15" styled steel wheels and raised white letter tires which he had added, and replace them with the original 14" wheels, whitewall Michelins and XR-7 wheel covers which were on the car when he purchased it from the family of the original owner a few months ago.

It really looks naked without its factory pinstripes. My first car was a Nordic Blue '68 standard coupe, which had white pinstripes. Does anyone know what color pinstripes would have been on this car originally?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Why would it have had pinstripes? Weren't they more of an Eliminator thing? I don't remember seeing a '68 with pinstripes before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, my Nordic Blue '68 had two thin white pinstripes, right below the fender line. I have old photos from when it was new that clearly show them, so my memory isn't playing tricks.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
This car would have had white pinstripes. All 67 & 68 Cougars had dual pinstripes along the body line.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That car looks real sweet! Specially if you were even close to his price! Not sure if it would have had white or black stripes? I like that color though. Curious though. The sticker on the driver side shock tower, shouldn't that be on the passenger side?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Not sure if it would have had white or black stripes? The sticker on the driver side shock tower, shouldn't that be on the passenger side?
All dark colored cars had white stripes and light colored cars had black stripes.

The shock tower sticker could have been on either side but is most commonly found on the passenger side.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh, nice!! I've never noticed them before but from zooming in really close on pics now I can see them. Funny, I always thought that was just light reflecting off the ridge.

What this tells me, aside from reminding me I still don't know jack, is that I really need to see some proper Cougars up close in person. I just saw one drive past on the street here in Chicago a couple days ago and was shocked beyond belief. We don't really have a ton, I don't think.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great looking car by the way. Other than the back end riding a little high for my taste, I dont think I'd wanna change much of anything. I really dig the color, for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The seller offered the car twice on eBay, but both times he used a high minimum bid (first $17K then $16K) rather than use a reserve price. There were no bids either time. I paid $14K for the car, and he agreed to deliver the car to me. It will live at my home in Palm Springs, CA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts