Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,
I recently aquired a 68 xr7 and I am getting ready to hit it with a big hammer:evil:. I have the patches welded in the rear and trunk drops finished...rest of the body and underbody is solid. The friendly little 302 is getting ready to come out along with the c4. I have a fresh 67 GT390 (single plane offenhauser and around 600 lift solid lifter) thats going in its place along with a borg warner from a 65 or 66 stang (hey I have 2 kids and 1 on the way and it was FREE so I hope it lasts a season). Has anyone installed the Doug Thorley D627 crossover headers on their ride? Do I absolutely need to box the towers? How about ground clearance and steering issues? Car has manual drums and no PS, no AC, no vinyl top either I love it. Also if anybody has a set for sale or something comparable (2" tubes) I would like to hear from you. Also looking for some front springs.
thanks,

Kyle in Cincinnati

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Welcome to the group! I can't answer directly about the Thorley headers, so I won't say anything. Are you an active craigs list shopper? You would be surprised at what other guys are trying to get rid of. I've parted out a couple of cougars locally that were found on CL.
We like pictures on the board here too, so post a few up when you get a chance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks woodsnake, yeah I am on craigslist a lot (more than my employer would like). Not too many decent cougars left here in the rust belt though. Parts seem few and far between...esp for a FE setup everyone seems consumed by small blocks and honda motors. It's been raining for days here but the next time I get her out of the garage I will take some pics and post them.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old man found me a 4 year old set of the Doug thorley crossovers with a crappy powder coat job for $300 at the ford show in Columbus a few weeks back. They look good enough to run as is and I can't walk away from that price. I've been meaning to take pics but the weather is crap and I have a baby boy due any day now...I wish she would just get it over with. Will resume next month after the madness.

·
11,000 Posts
Those headers are race only. They hang way down under the car. Won't work with power steering. Bad choice for street driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts