Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
The sunroof car is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. Right car, options and color. Would prefer an S code to an X code, but by no means a deal breaker. What does bother me is the lack of photos; no selling history; and it looks like the seller may also be the high bidder. Anyone know anything about this car? It's what I want, in my price range and not too far from home, so needless to say I want it.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don't worry about the details, put in a snipe bid for what you see and what the owner tells you after you have a phone call and then send a trusted MC.net member to do the deal after the auction ends if you cannot do it in person. If it is not 100% as stated walk away with no regrets. Can you tell I like the ebay policy of sellers not being able to leave negative feedback? LOL! My gut says this is this is a car worth stepping up for...

PS- Cougar Bill did the work and I sold him the parts, call Cougar Bill, he is a member here and will not steer you wrong.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Thanks, Don, I'm going to send the seller an email asking for more pics and his reserve price. I'll take it from there.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Don, is this car an XR-7G?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looking at the pictures I say it is a nice sunroof car but not a G. If it were it would be listed as such and have a G hood scoop and emblem on the headlight door. I see the emblems on the C posts and the fog lamps but missing some other touches. Still it is a nice looking car.
I do have a question. G's had a switch on the console for the sunroofs where would the sunroof switch be located on non G's?
Steven

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question: I've seen a few XR7 steering wheels leather wrapped like this sunroof car, was this a dealer installed option or aftermarket kit? Should all XR7 cars have woodgrain wheels?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I do have a question. G's had a switch on the console for the sunroofs where would the sunroof switch be located on non G's?
Steven
Mounted under the dash on the right side of the steering column on a rounded "L" bracket.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey all,
Had a few requests on this, so here's what I know. Car is a 1968 XR-7 "NOT a G" 6.5 2 v (X code) w/ A/C, P.S sunroof and tilt.

Marti #'s 696 sunroof cars (XR-7)
619 XR-7G's, 431 w/ sunroofs
188 Hertz w/ sunroofs
10 Factory show cars w/ sunroofs
11 special G's unknown if all had sunroofs

(Now not exactly sure on above #'s but derived from info avail)

Work on the car:
New fuel pump and Hitorque starter and related cables and relay
New fuel sender strainer, 4core 24" radiator, speedo cable
Export brace, reinforced crossmember, both headlight vac motors.
Pass door exterior mirror, USA 1 stereo, steering wheel cover
Steering gear box rebuild, INCLUDING the 62 worm gear ball bearings
Rear main seal, oil pan replaced,Beltline w/x and redye some interior pieces

Oh, my wife was the one who sewed that leather cover on the steering wheel!

Condition of the car. Older restoration, and has some paint issues showing. This would be my only concern w/ this car. I would love to own it. I don't like the front seats, but they were done before Don bought it. I thought it had rear defog, but not sure. Previous owner installed a bunch of "G" things like badges. engine dressup, exhaust tips, frt valance...

I can't find any pics of underside.

Hope this helps

Bill

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I forgot to mention it is now a 4 v w/ Edlebrock intake and a Holly carb. Koni shocks all around.

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
The sunroof car is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. Right car, options and color. Would prefer an S code to an X code, but by no means a deal breaker. What does bother me is the lack of photos; no selling history; and it looks like the seller may also be the high bidder. Anyone know anything about this car? It's what I want, in my price range and not too far from home, so needless to say I want it.

appears to be a serious case of shill bidding with this auction.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I called the number in the ad and talked to Gary a few days ago. He's actually listing it for a friend. Sounds like a good car but the seller wants about $10,000 more than I'm prepared to pay. Now with Cougar Bill reporting it is an older restoration and has some paint issues showing I think we maybe further apart yet on the price. My guess is that it will be re-listed in a week with more pictures of the fine details of the car; detail pictures relief anxiety and build excitement about a car.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I bid on the sunroof car, but there is something up when 2 of the top bidders have no history of purchasing anything on eBay and the 3rd high bidder has only 1 purchase. People don't sign up and immediately start bidding on a $20,000 car and you would never get 3 legit bidders on the same car and none have any history to speak of.

Both Don Rush and Cougar Bill speak highly of the car, but the auction isn't very reassuring.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I bid on the sunroof car, but there is something up when 2 of the top bidders have no history of purchasing anything on eBay and the 3rd high bidder has only 1 purchase. People don't sign up and immediately start bidding on a $20,000 car and you would never get 3 legit bidders on the same car and none have any history to speak of.

Both Don Rush and Cougar Bill speak highly of the car, but the auction isn't very reassuring.
I contacted the seller through Ebay and here is the seller's response:

Dear ,

Good Afternoon. We are truly here trying to sell this Cougar. There is an individual who has bid on the Cougar repeatedly whom we do not know, I work for the owner of the Cougar and have for 6 Years as his assistant. I looked up the definition of Shill bidding and now I know what that is. I assure you that we are not involved in anything like that. Gary 720-425-7070

- dondenver2011

something strange is definitely going on with this auction.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I thought so too. First a lot of bids and second half of them by bidders with 0-1 in the feedback department. In the old days you could look up the bidder and see exactly when they joined but no longer at least to legit bidders. Something seems fishy...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
As a seller I can assure you newbie bidders do this all the time and much worse... Don't sweat it, just bid what YOU want to pay once at www.auctionstealer.com and forget about it. Don't visit the auction every hour, don't worry about the guys who opened their account just to bid on the car, don't worry what the crowd says...

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Well the auction is over and now the phone calls begin.

Don, I've seen your auctions and you post dozens of pictures showing every detail of a car, not 6 pictures from a distance. This car is worthy over $20,000 and anyone who has the money to buy does so because the are cautious with their money.

As far as the no history bidders, it could be coincidence that 3 first time bidders are on the same car, but it could also be the seller bidding up his own car. Cautious people watch for that. When Ritchie Bros. auctions catch a seller bidding up his own item they end the bidding, sell it to the first person to bid on the item and ban the seller from All their auctions. No one wants to be bid up on an item by the seller; the reserve price is there to insure the seller gets a fair price.

All that being said, I think the seller is just inexperienced at selling on eBay. A few friends may have thought they would help out and bid the car up, not knowing that buyers watch for that type of thing. Talking to Gary also makes me believe it is just inexperience as he sounded very straight forward. Innocent enough.

·
Registered
563 Posts
As a seller I can assure you newbie bidders do this all the time and much worse... Don't sweat it, just bid what YOU want to pay once at www.auctionstealer.com and forget about it. Don't visit the auction every hour, don't worry about the guys who opened their account just to bid on the car, don't worry what the crowd says...
I believe you are missing the point. Bogus bids are just inflating the price of the car. If bidders have no intention of honoring their bids it's just driving the price artificially high. the car is only worth what a legit buyer is willing to pay which could be substantially less than what these "clowns" are bidding.

:klo:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts