Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My body guy called his 3M supplier for the pin stripe 3/32" tape but said they don't produce it any longer....

Anyone know where I can buy some in black pin stripe tape for the 67-68?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Tim, actually pin stripes were painted on. I can't find the thread right now, but I asked someone where to purchase a template. Perhaps, someone can reply before I find the thread. :) John

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John.
The guy wants $250 to paint them on but I read something on the forum a while ago where 3M sold dual pin stripe tape that was close enough to work 3/32 with a 7/32 space between the 2 stripes, but they no longer produce it.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Any good pinstripe guy has his own tool that that feeds in the tape on one side and cuts it to any setting.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Any GOOD pinstripe guy doesn't need tape. Find an old school pinstriper and he can freehand your stripes. Shouldn't cost more than $200.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Well if you are like me and your paint job is worth under $200 but you have no plans on painting it anytime soon, $80 works just fine for some...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I had a local pinstripe guy do mine. $50 and about 20 minutes. Ask around first.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Copy Cat had mine done for me at a car show for my birthday local guy, $100.00. Only took me about seven years to decide if I wanted them back on. Really changed the look, I am glad I put them back on.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Look up Finess pinstriping or Finess stencils or something like that. They make stencils in whatever size you want. For about forty bucks you can get a 120 foot roll that would do probably three cars in the exact size you specify. Once the stencils are on you could do your own with a brush and get a bang up job!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look up Finess pinstriping or Finess stencils or something like that. They make stencils in whatever size you want. For about forty bucks you can get a 120 foot roll that would do probably three cars in the exact size you specify. Once the stencils are on you could do your own with a brush and get a bang up job!!
Thank you Harvey, I'll look into it!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the site last night, thank you everyone. This will work great.
Scott, your stripes look just like the originals! Nice job!
Looks like my spring project.
Thank you to all who responded.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I disagree with not being perfect unless you have restored your car using the old single stage paint and you left the orange peel and other factory imperfections. Is there anyone doing that?
If you have a super nice paint job, get super nice pinstripes. Why spend $50 to do 3 hours of work that might come out OK when you can spend the same $50, maybe $100 and enjoy life while the pro does the job right.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
You can still do super nice pin stripes doing the job yourself at the same price, you just need to make sure the tape that makes up the gaps does not overlap the stencil causing the rough ends on the stripes like the factory did. It might add an extra 15 minutes to the job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts