Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everybody; not my first post, but I'm a new member at the forum, despite having hovered around it for quite some time now.

Despite my looking around, I can't find the production numbers on the 1968 Mercury Cougar- there's one not far from me, and I'd like to know how rare it is.

It's a 1968 Mercury Cougar GT 390 4v (S-Code) with a 4-Speed. I don't believe it's an XR-7 (The pictures are rather poor, and I'm not sure what shape she's really in). It's red with a black interior.

Could anyone help me?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking as well, but I suppose I won't know unless I pick up that by the numbers book, and if I end up eventually buying this cat, the marti report I'll buy as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
According to CBTNs (Cougar By The Numbers), there were a total of 507 '68 standard hardtops (that would be all standard models including the GT, non XR-7)with the S code 390-4V with a 4 spd. 418 S codes with the wide ratio (code 5) trans. and 89 with the close ratio (code 6) trans. John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey- look at that! It could be one of either 89 or 418, and most of the 418 could be a standard hardtop, non-GT making it that much more rare! Argh, I wish people would post VIN tags in their listings :p

Thanks, 68PUMA.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
OK, we now know how rare they are, whats one worth with rotten floors, cowl, left quarter needs replaced, tops of inner fenders rusted through, typical door rust, motor seems original with smog stuff and has less than 50k on the ticker(so he says)?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds like an aweful lot of money in restoration there! If the floors are rotten I would bet the frame rails are too, I would think a better question is how much you are looking into putting into a car. Then figure what the engine might be worth and offer that.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
OK, we now know how rare they are, whats one worth with rotten floors, cowl, left quarter needs replaced, tops of inner fenders rusted through, typical door rust, motor seems original with smog stuff and has less than 50k on the ticker(so he says)?
Usually worth a lot less than the seller's asking price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts