Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would a 1968 GT 390 (Cougar produced 12/19/1967) have a solid manifold spacer (part no. C6OZ-9A435-A versus a manifold heat riser valve part no C6OZ-9A427-D on the passengar side exhaust manifold? The Master Lincoln Mercury Parts book is somewhat confusing on this matter. I am trying to go back to factory specs for this Cougar. This may not matter but is was a San Jose build with LA ordering district. I believe I read somewhere the early 68 run used the heat riser valve.

I also understand there where no manifold gaskets from the factory on the GT 390 motor?

Any help with this would be appreciated as I do not remember seeing a heat riser valve when engine was removed years ago. (It could have been changed out long ago)

Steve:1zhelp:

·
11,000 Posts
It should have the heat riser valve prior to some time in late February 1968. That being said, I recommend that you either use the spacer, or weld the valve so that it is always open. There is no point in having a valve that works, you will not notice any difference in performance. If you just have to have one for the appearance of concours correctness then disable it to prevent big trouble down the road.

Would a 1968 GT 390 (Cougar produced 12/19/1967) have a solid manifold spacer (part no. C6OZ-9A435-A versus a manifold heat riser valve part no C6OZ-9A427-D on the passengar side exhaust manifold? The Master Lincoln Mercury Parts book is somewhat confusing on this matter. I am trying to go back to factory specs for this Cougar. This may not matter but is was a San Jose build with LA ordering district. I believe I read somewhere the early 68 run used the heat riser valve.

I also understand there where no manifold gaskets from the factory on the GT 390 motor?

Any help with this would be appreciated as I do not remember seeing a heat riser valve when engine was removed years ago. (It could have been changed out long ago)

Steve:1zhelp:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royce,

Thanks for your quick reply. I couldn't remember the change over date for the 1968 Cougar. I will follow your advice. I found some pictures when I bought the GT and it looks like the solid spacer was in place. It probably was changed out at some point in its life.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts