Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 std cougar and I am trying to see if this is the original 289 2v Engine. I located the numbers on the front drivers side of the engine they read 8D30A. Now tell me if this is correct 8 is for 68, D is for April, 30 is the day what is the A stand for? Also where do I find the VIN stamping on this engine. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Bizman, that sounds right. I don't know what the A stands for, maybe the shift (1st perhaps). Check on the top of the block on the drivers side behind the intake manifold for the VIN. I have a photo in my album on my profile of my VIN stamped on my block for reference that you can look at. BTW, welcome to MC.NET. John

·
11,000 Posts
That stamped ID is the inspection date of the assembled short block.

If it is the original engine the car would have been built some time after April 30, 1968. "A" would mean day shift inspected the engine assembly.

If there is a VIN it is stamped behind the intake on the pad on the block. Very hard to see with the engine installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information I will run back over to the shop to see if I can locate the VIN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW Happy days!! Shes got her original Engine, Woo Hoo! Ok so its only a 289 2V but its my 289 2V LOL Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts