Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 XR7 (61,000 orig miles). The vinyl top has fallen pretty much apart and the paint is starting to show it's age and is now showing breakdown and surface rust. I am in the process of stripping what remains of the vinyl top off. Any hints or tips that anyone can share in regard to removing the chrome pieces that surround the windshield and rear window without damaging them? Is this something I should not try myself? I would like to have the whole car repainted and figured it best from what I have already read that I should have the roof painted as well before installing the new vinyl roof. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
They are held on with plastic clips, they clip into the molding and push down on little studs that look like screw heads. just start at the top, one side over laps the other in the middle, start with the one that over laps. Just pry outward but be gentle not to bend chrome, just work your way around most glass have a plastic tool that works good and wont scratch, sometimes they will give you one if you ask. Some of the clips might break but I usually just replace them all anyway. If any of the little studs they push onto are missing or rusted away the sell tiny screws you can replace them with. Hope this helped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts