Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for first car

I am looking for my first car. It is a somewhat rare model, maybe it is still out there?
I bought it in 1974, second owner from a Mercury Dealer in Methuen Mass. It is a white, no vinyl top, with saddle leather interior. It came with a hood scoop similiar to the elimator and had a black single stripe up the center of the hood. It did not have air conditioning, or a rear window defroster and I believe the side mirror was a non-remote type mirror. It had a 428 CJ engine with the smog pump equipment installed. It was sold in late 1976 to a Toyota dealer in Lowell Mass. This was not my idea, thought parents were having a 4 speed transmission installed as a graduation gift from high school. Turns out they traded it in toward a Toyata Celica as my graduation gift. I didn't have the heart at the time to tell them how disappointed I was, they were quite thrilled to have bought me the new Toyota.
* I know this is a shot in the dark to try and find it, if it is still even around. I don't have the numbers off it but know there were not a lot of them built in 1968 and fewer in XR7 format. Thinking even fewer in polar white with leather saddle interior. Don't know if I could afford to buy it back and doubt the current owner (if there is one) would want to part with her... Would love to know what happened to her! I have some pictures from '74-'76, most blk/wht but a few color. I will try and post some.
* Hope someone can help me find out what happened to her. Wish I had more information but am thinking there can't be many more than a half dozen of them like this?
Look forward to any info.
Charlie

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
There was one know to have been parted and scrapped. It was an XR7 with automatic and an open 3.50 rear axle. It was originally ordered from the Dallas DSO. The report of P&S came from New York.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Charlie,

I sent your post to Phil Parcells, the administrator of the CCOA national database. Here is the response I got back from him:

Phil Parcells said:
Bill,
There are 2 polar white / saddle R-code XR7's known to the database. Both have been parted out. But one is a DSO 22 (Dallas) car, and the other is a DSO 84 car. So the DSO of these parted cars is not a good match for the car Charlie is looking for, assuming his was a DSO 11 (Boston) car. Maybe his car is still out there somewhere.

Phil
It might be worth contacting Kevin Marti to see if he could identify how many R-code, Polar White and Saddle cars there were. It might give you a short list of VIN's to look for, in case your car ever surfaces.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Glad Phil could identify another one. The report of P&S came from upstate NY so that might be close. I hope it is still roaming the streets somewhere out there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does give a bit of hope that it still out there, sad to see that 2 got chopped up... I guess it helps put others back on the road. Anyone know how I might go about getting info from Kevin Marti on the vin #'s for R code cars from '68? Maybe that could help to track it down. Appreciate all responces I have recieved. Maybe there is a DSO11 out there still rolling on the road. I will put up a couple of pictures from the early 70's when I own it. Stuck in bed for a few, had gall blatter out this past weekend. Hopefully I can post them by this weekend.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hope your back on your feet soon Charlie.

And please do post pictures. Photos are always appreciated, especially vintage ones!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Charlie, here's a service that Marti does. It's not cheap, but hope it helps you. https://www.martiauto.com/secure/stats.cfm . Under "Other Options", you could put DSO 11 to help narrow it down. Hope you get on your feet soon also. John

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the pictures of my original car scanned into the computer today. Some are old polaroids and are a little less for the wear. I spent some time with photoshop to clean them up a bit. Don't know if any of you remember wiping the photos after they came out of the camera with some kind of chemical to seal them. Some of that stuff turned a brownish color on the black and white shots but I think I got them pretty cleaned up so they are presentable. I now just need to figure out how to get them posted to the site... I'm sure it can't be too hard, have usually had my wife post them but it is time I just take the time to do it myself. I think a lot of people post to "photobucket" and link them to the forum. If there is a better or easier way, don't be bashful, fill me in : )

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I like the picture with the winter tires. LOL

Does Bill Quay have anything like that in the 1968 R code data base?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Cool vintage pics and I agree, the one with the snow tires reminds me of times past.

Sure appreciate your posting these and I hope you find that long lost love.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Charlie - Great vintage pictures, thanks for sharing those. Very cool car. Hope it's alive out there somewhere. I was thinking about putting your story in the next WCCC newsletter, which reaches thousands of Cougar people around the world. There's always a slight chance someone out there knows something about it, but either way it makes an interesting story, being such a rare car. Would that be okay with you?

·
Registered
389 Posts
so your parents made ya go from that to this?

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I gotta tell you Charly looking at the pictures of you smoking the tires, the car parked against a trash can, I think your parents were not even close to a four speed brother. They were sure trying to slow you down.LOL

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a note from a member in my email, I follow my posts so I will know if someone post and I am not on the site. I got a not a week or so back with a picture of a '76 Toyota Celica which I think was someones "love". It did look a lot like the car that I was given as a replacement for my beloved Cougar. It was very similar to the one I had just a different color and a hatch-back. The one I had was Bright Red and was a regular coupe with a trunk. I don't see the post here, maybe it got posted to another forum or I just missed it. Still looking and hoping. There were at least 4 Cougars that crossed the auction block at the Mecum auction in Kissimmee Florida. Not many of the '60's vintage, I saw two.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a Lime Frost GT-E with a W code 427. My car moved to Tulsa after 1975 or so. It was painted white and interior changed to black. It has been for sale by a guy named Billips, at least I think so. Not your car but white 1968 fast Cougar.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts