·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Did you sell it?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope. it's still for sale. i guess folks here only get excited about rusted out bucket "G" cars. i don't get it...

:smoke:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
nope. it's still for sale. i guess folks here only get excited about rusted out bucket "G" cars. i don't get it...

I think if you posted more pictures in your auction you would sell it; pictures seem to make the difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Agreed. If it's virtually rust-free, show some pics of the frame rails, floor pans, torque boxes, and trunk wells with no rust. And of course show the engine bay. And the interior. That's the stuff that makes a car look really good, not just shots from far away.

·
11,000 Posts
Ditto what everyone says. The cell phone pictures and video are OK to post on Facebook but if you want to sell the car you need good high quality detail shots inside the car, in the trunk, under the trunk mat, engine compartment, and underside of the car.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Vincent best of luck selling the car. It'll be interesting to see what she goes for. S codes seem to be up and down price wise. As everyone has said better pics would help a lot. Is the car original paint and driveline? Very nice ride!

Glenn.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think if you posted more pictures in your auction you would sell it; pictures seem to make the difference.
If you read the listing it states, "more pictures are available by request". I figure if someone is truly interested they will request more pictures.

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
sent a pm. thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Instead of making them available on request, if you put them right there in the listing you increase your chances of MAKING someone excited about the car, as opposed to waiting for someone to get excited without them and then request them. It's a subtle difference but it just increases your odds of selling, if only slightly. Plus it saves you the trouble of sending out pics to everyone that requests them, saves you from doing that over and over.

I know this from selling guitars and amps on eBay. I always take really nice pictures with excellent and even artistic lighting. Historically, everything I've ever listed on eBay has sold in under a day. I also always put a Buy It Now price that's above the middle of the market price, but not at the top, so I get good money, it's high enough for that, but it's cheap enough that people are inclined to pounce on it quickly for fear of someone else getting it first.

Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instead of making them available on request, if you put them right there in the listing you increase your chances of MAKING someone excited about the car, as opposed to waiting for someone to get excited without them and then request them. It's a subtle difference but it just increases your odds of selling, if only slightly. Plus it saves you the trouble of sending out pics to everyone that requests them, saves you from doing that over and over.

I know this from selling guitars and amps on eBay. I always take really nice pictures with excellent and even artistic lighting. Historically, everything I've ever listed on eBay has sold in under a day. I also always put a Buy It Now price that's above the middle of the market price, but not at the top, so I get good money, it's high enough for that, but it's cheap enough that people are inclined to pounce on it quickly for fear of someone else getting it first.

Good luck with the sale!
I hear what you're saying. However, I have posted links to high definition videos in my listing and would think that the videos would be enough to get someone "excited" about the car. Additionally, if someone has to contact you at least you can gather a list of folks who are interested in the car vs just posting pics and you have no way of knowing who's looking at them. Kind of like having a sign-in sheet at an open house.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Those videos suck. Next time don't do it from 15 feet away unless you want everyone to know that you really don't want anyone to look any closer. Go ahead and show that ding in the right rear wheel lip moulding....right up close, like 6 inches away. Show us what it is, not what it looks like from 20 feet.
The lighting didn't show the left side of the car at all. No engine shots, no interior shots, overhead console, close up of dash/steering wheel, shot of headliner, rear seat, under the matt in the trunk, down in the drop offs in the trunk, under the hood at the inner fender well folds. Underside: torque box, floors, quarter drop offs, exhaust, pinion, rear end, front end, frame rails....
Yea, if I was selling a car I'd want to know who was looking....could be a murderer or center cap thief...OH MY.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The videos aren't awful, but they don't show anything the pictures don't. They're not high quality videos, or if they are, it's just not possible to tell because they're shot from so far away. If anything, they could even serve to hurt you, since the videos show a standard Illinois plate and the description says the car has coveted black California plates-- so it makes it look like things aren't right, photos from one place and copy/pasted text from someone else's auction or something.

I always make a point of taking detailed photos of every potential flaw, everything that a buyer might be pissed about if they didn't know about it and they bought it and it showed up with, whatever, a dent, some minimal rust, whatever the flaws are. If you present every flaw, just lay it out there, you build confidence and you appear honest and forthright. When you don't go into detail about flaws, and don't show any detail in your pics or videos, you appear less honest and like you are hiding something.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of this to criticize you or your auction or your pics or video, I'm trying to help you sell your car.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those videos suck. Next time don't do it from 15 feet away unless you want everyone to know that you really don't want anyone to look any closer. Go ahead and show that ding in the right rear wheel lip moulding....right up close, like 6 inches away. Show us what it is, not what it looks like from 20 feet.
The lighting didn't show the left side of the car at all. No engine shots, no interior shots, overhead console, close up of dash/steering wheel, shot of headliner, rear seat, under the matt in the trunk, down in the drop offs in the trunk, under the hood at the inner fender well folds. Underside: torque box, floors, quarter drop offs, exhaust, pinion, rear end, front end, frame rails....
Yea, if I was selling a car I'd want to know who was looking....could be a murderer or center cap thief...OH MY.
The only way to show the car in full frame is to stand back at a distance. Additionally, only showing the exterior was done with intent. Leave the audience wanting more. The idea is to get a list of potential buyers not for running background checks. If someone is truly interested they will ask for more.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The videos aren't awful, but they don't show anything the pictures don't. They're not high quality videos, or if they are, it's just not possible to tell because they're shot from so far away. If anything, they could even serve to hurt you, since the videos show a standard Illinois plate and the description says the car has coveted black California plates-- so it makes it look like things aren't right, photos from one place and copy/pasted text from someone else's auction or something.

I always make a point of taking detailed photos of every potential flaw, everything that a buyer might be pissed about if they didn't know about it and they bought it and it showed up with, whatever, a dent, some minimal rust, whatever the flaws are. If you present every flaw, just lay it out there, you build confidence and you appear honest and forthright. When you don't go into detail about flaws, and don't show any detail in your pics or videos, you appear less honest and like you are hiding something.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of this to criticize you or your auction or your pics or video, I'm trying to help you sell your car.
You can watch the videos on youtube in high definition but you have to click on the high definition "button" or "720p" option on the youtube player. Maybe that's the problem because they look good when I view them. Plus you can hear the car running which pictures can not provide. As for the Illinois plates, I live in IL and you have to have IL plates if you title and register the car in IL. You can't drive around with expired out-of-state plates unless you want to get pulled over. I don't think that's too hard to understand. Finally, I have over 50+ extensive pictures available for those who are interested. I am basically trying to create interest in the car with my Ebay listing and videos. I'm sure anyone who is truly interested would want more pictures and would most likely want to discuss the car over the phone as well. I even had the car inspected out in California before I purchased it which is an option for potentail buyers too.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ahhhhh, ok, I get it now. You're not actually trying to sell it on eBay, you're just trying to use eBay to get in touch with people who would buy it from you directly. Yeah, that's a whole other story.

I live in Illinois so I understand how it works. You can actually have the black plates on it if it's registered as an antique vehicle and you keep the AV plates inside the car. But as a driver, yes, just plain old Illinois plates.

Well good luck with what you're doing. And hope that eBay doesn't catch on. Lol. It's a TOS violation.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No. I was actually trying to sell it on Ebay and may re-list it there again. I'm just saying that I'm not putting "everything but the kitchen sink" in my listing. If people want more info before bidding they can contact me. I see it all the time. No harm in that the way I see it. As for registering it as an antique vehicle, that really puts some limitations on driving the car from what I've found.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh no question about it-- technically, legally, if you register your car as an Antique Vehicle in Illinois, you can pretty much never drive it, ever. Only legal uses are to drive it to or from a car show, or, to or from a mechanic for service. So technically it wouldn't even be legal to drive it to the DMV to renew your plates. Maybe cops would give you a hard time or maybe not, maybe the secretary of state would give you a hard time and maybe not-- to me it's just not worth even thinking about it. Normal plates, and I can drive anywhere anytime and not have to look over my shoulder wondering if I'm gonna get pinched by a cop with a quota to meet.

·
11,000 Posts
The vids leave me wondering "What is the guy trying to hide?". Honestly, put the pictures in the auction.

The only way to show the car in full frame is to stand back at a distance. Additionally, only showing the exterior was done with intent. Leave the audience wanting more. The idea is to get a list of potential buyers not for running background checks. If someone is truly interested they will ask for more.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts