Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Yes it is possible and it looks like an original Cougar Sunroof. It also has the rare headrest option as well. The only real way to be sure if the options are original to the car is to get a Marti report.

·
Registered
508 Posts
<table id="Table1" width="600" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>8F93X582934</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Door Plate Data </td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Model Year </td> <td> 1968</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Assembly Plant </td> <td> Dearborn, Michigan (F)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Body Style </td> <td> XR7, Hardtop (93)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Engine Model </td> <td> 390-2V Premium Fuel (X)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Sequential Number </td> <td> 82934</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
384 Posts
Another X code with a sunroof.

The guys with the Cougar stats; were most non-G sunroof Cougars equipped with an X code?

Didn't intermittent wipers come out in 69?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The guys with the Cougar stats; were most non-G sunroof Cougars equipped with an X code?

Didn't intermittent wipers come out in 69?
There were about 265 XR7 non-G's with sunroof and another 326 standard Cougar's with sunroof. I don't have a further breakdown by engine but it would be safe to say that no, most non-G sunroof Cougar's did not come with an X code. There were only 3254 total X codes.

Yes, intermittent wipers were first available on a Cougar in 1969.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<table id="Table1" width="600" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>8F93X582934</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Door Plate Data </td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Model Year </td> <td> 1968</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Assembly Plant </td> <td> Dearborn, Michigan (F)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Body Style </td> <td> XR7, Hardtop (93)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Engine Model </td> <td> 390-2V Premium Fuel (X)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="bottom" width="30%" align="right"> Sequential Number </td> <td> 82934</td></tr></tbody></table>
Ah! Good call. Didn't even notice they supplied the vin; I was too busy staring at the pictures.
Read far enough to see the 390, and instantly thought S-Code.. Forgot about X! Even still, she's a pretty cat!
Thanks for the help, guys!

~robotix

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Since the sunroof was a nearly $500 option, it's likely that most came in F & J code cars. If you're really curious, you could pay Kevin Marti to run the numbers and find out exactly how many of each engine code were ordered with a sunroof. I've seen quite a few fairly low optioned cars with a sunroof.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Looks like a real nice Cougar, but could use some more detailed photo's. I like the color combo.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
A big block with lots of cool options and it appears to be black cherry, my favorite color. If it had cruise I'd be on my way to Lansdale. :smoke:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If I had found something like that when I was looking I would be driving right now! Nice looking car.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Since the sunroof was a nearly $500 option, it's likely that most came in F & J code cars. If you're really curious, you could pay Kevin Marti to run the numbers and find out exactly how many of each engine code were ordered with a sunroof. I've seen quite a few fairly low optioned cars with a sunroof.
Nothing like a loaded out cat with a sunroof, nice. I believe the price in 1968 for a sunroof on a cougar was more like $375.00.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I believe the price in 1968 for a sunroof on a cougar was more like $375.00.
I think you're right. I just checked my old paperwork on my 68 sunroof and it was $360.80 although there was some discrepancy in that figure. The sunroof option on my 70 was $459.60 which was what was in my mind when making that post. Anybody with a 68 invoice handy that has the exact sunroof cost?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Well, almost every one is partially right. The sunroof option was $375, but it required the Oxford (vinyl) Roof for $84.25 for a total of $459.25. The G package included the vinyl roof so a G window sticker shows the $375 while non G cars will show the higher number $459.25.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've only ever seen one 1968 non-G Cougar with a sunroof, a standard model with decor interior and a few other options (but not loaded). It did have the original sunroof switch, which was a turn switch similar to that for the rear defogger option, mounted in the same place. I wish my car was one of the lucky few!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Every time there is a Cougar for sale in PA. its at the east side of the state. Never one in Sharon or Moon Township.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Well, almost every one is partially right. The sunroof option was $375, but it required the Oxford (vinyl) Roof for $84.25 for a total of $459.25. The G package included the vinyl roof so a G window sticker shows the $375 while non G cars will show the higher number $459.25.
Thanks for clearing that up, Bill. I never made the connection between the vinyl roof and the sunroof as a reason for the price discrepancy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts